4

Guys guys guys I think small chapters and frequent updates will help keep this book alive? Like do you agree or should I just do long chapters (and untimely updates)?

"What are you doing?" Adam asked, already laying down on Claire's old bed and under the warm sheets, staring at the one and only, who refused to even change out of her clothing or get off her laptop.

It wasn't that Adam had decided to stay the night here, but her parents insisted that it's too late to leave and that he HAD to stay. They treated him like a 12 year old, and honestly, he didn't mind because they somehow managed to give him a safe parents aura.

Something he never had a chance to receive.

"Plotting down a story." She furrowed her eyebrows, staring at a blank screen.

"How? At this hour? Aren't you tired from all that travelling through the night?" He pursed his lips into a thin line and narrowed his eyes at her.

"The deadline is in three months, Adam, and I have NO idea what to write." She grumbled, running her fingers through her hair in frustration. "I should have stayed home."

"Okay what about I help you with it?"

Claire would gladly let Adam help, only if it wasn't erotica. She hasn't had much of an interest in romance, yet, she was stuck with it. Maybe that's what writers are meant to be doing? Think out of the box? Then again, she wasn't exactly designed for writing.

"How the fuck will you help me create romance, asshat?" She muttered and went back to impatiently tapping her fingers on the table.

Adam sighed. He would have given ideas for anything at all, done a gazillion actions to give her a good perception on the topic. This time, though, all he could think was 'no ringing bells'.

"Why don't you just sleep, we'll think about it tomorrow."

Claire's ears perked up on that, and she licked her dry lips, "aren't we.. going out tomorrow?" She questioned, and with such a drastic change in her tone, that, Adam rolled his eyes, knowing exactly what her worries are directed towards.

"I know what this is." He stated, out stretching his arms. "Come here."

8 years, and they had grown closer to each other than ever.

She shut her laptop, and groaned. Nevertheless, she took off her jacket and threw it on the floor like every other day, and climbed into the bed. Adam instantly pulled her close, wrapping his huge arms around her.

Right after her body hit the bed, Claire felt like she had gone through years and ages without rest

"Yes, we're going to Hailey's place. But don't you worry, it'll only be Hailey there."

"I'm not worried." She mumbled against his arms where she had her face buried. He looked at her fondly when she replied, and let out a small smile.

"Sure thing, author." He said. "Stop stressing yourself out. As long as you're with me, you're fine."

"You're a loser, Adam, you can't help me."

He pulled the sheets over her face, taking advantage of his size and burying Claire underneath the warm blankets. "Say that again and it won't take me long to dig six feet into the ground."

Somehow, Claire managed to feel suffocated instantly, and pushed the covers off, taking one deep breath through her mouth. "Asshole, do you want me to choke you to death or something? Because I wouldn't hesitate."

Adam just shrugged with a smug smile, and the room fell silent. Surely, there was a lot to discuss about, but nothing could feel better than having this comfortable silence between two friends who met almost 10 years ago and share a house and never thought twice before sharing a meal or bed.

Claire turned around to face Adam, and his eyes flickered to hers.

"I don't want to go." She admitted, words stumbling out in soft whispers. "I don't want to meet him, I want to be alone."

Adam brought his hand to brush her cheeks with his thumb sweetly and smile. He knew it. Claire was never good at hiding her thoughts from him. She was an open book, and he knew very well how to read. "Hey, it's alright. You don't have to meet him. Just be there for Hailey. She needs us."

She tried. She tried going on dates, and she tried to find love in everyone. But nothing was ever comparable to the love she once felt. She wanted to find someone who'd take the crown in her life.

But she had lost the crown she owned. It isn't with her.

It's with Lucas.

He wore her heart like a crown, and instead had offered her a bouquet of thorned flowers.

Claire's eyes snapped open, wide and strained. All she saw was darkness around her. When had she fallen asleep?

Arms around her waist, and soft breaths hitting her cheeks, she lifted her head up to look at Adam's divine sleeping figure in whose embrace she had fallen asleep.

He surely was one in a gazillion.