22

Claire was sitting on the couch now, Lucas' phone in her hands.

Her gaze kept rushing back to Lucas' pretty little sleeping face in the moonlight, and she couldn't help but gape at him at some point. He looked extremely peaceful.

She leaned forward, elbows on her thighs and her palms supporting her head. "Why Hailey?" She asked softly.

Admit it, everyone wanted to know.

His phone suddenly buzzed in her hands, and she looked down, instantly squinting as it was too bright for her eyes.

Although she had failed cracking the pattern to his phone, she still was smart enough to open the phone through fingerprint recognition.

Nate Moore: ... Lucas

Nate Moore: We lost Wesley. Our men couldn't track him down, and his house is empty

Nate Moore: this is the third time.

Claire stared at the notification bar, eyebrows twitching as she took in the information. Wesley was alive after all. And he could be of some help maybe?

What could Claire use Wesley for? He was a runaway child. And even then, he was in New Zealand. Claire barely had money to travel for publication of her article to NY.

Nate Moore: and also, Sean Wood has arrived to the town. He has the papers. We just need one last sign and the contract will be forgotten.

Nate Moore: your presence is necessary tomorrow. Or you will have to face the circumstances

She didn't know what to make out of these messages. She can't even open them, since Lucas might know. But she wanted to find out more about this contract.

What was it in the contract that needed to be forgotten?

Claire sat back on the couch, one leg over the other while looking at Lucas from the corner of her eyes with a heinous smile that curved the corners of her lips.

"What a fool you are, dear Lucas." She said.

———

Claire woke up with a start when her phone was ringing loudly, and Lucas was standing in the balcony, fully clothed in his suit and tie, hair nicely done already and eyes distant.

She picked up the call, answering it groggily.

"Claire where are you?"

She recognised the voice as none other than Adam, and slowly let herself close her eyes again. "Home, I told you."

"Well, are you in your bedroom?"

Claire tore her eyes open and glanced around the hotel room. "Right."

"I'm here too." Adam chuckled, "Atleast be good at lying." The line went silent again, while Claire rose to her feet, blinking rapidly, she didn't know what to say. "So, where are you?"

"I.."

"Where are you, Claire?" Adam pressed.

"Adam, it's not like I'm not okay. I'm perfectly fine-"

"I'll decide that. Where the fuck are you?"

Claire felt a chill down her spine when he growled out through the phone. Something only Adam was capable of doing. Scaring her.

She cut the call. However scary Adam seemed to her, she wasn't one to answer. She's a grown ass women capable of taking care. She can't expect Adam to understand why she cuts the call all the time, but she does expect him to understand after all these years of her cutting the call abruptly.

She stretched a little in her place, loosening her muscles and getting onto her feet. She yawned softly and glanced at Lucas.

"Yo, are we going home anytime soon?" she asked, getting no reply in return. So she snuck onto him, noticing his Airpods. Just as she was about to shake him to get his attention, she stopped, standing right behind him. He was on a call.

"I want you to go there and take care of the situation." Lucas snarled. "No, there are no excuses to be given. Fire them. Hire better people. Just find him again."

Lucas cut the call and turned around, only to be face to face with Claire. 

"Oh." She blinked. "Sorry." and she moved away, letting him lead the way. She didn't complain any further about going back home, rather just followed him quietly.

"Shall we grab some breakfast back home?"

And that was how they ended up eating waffles and driving back to the city. Lucas had insisted on walking her till her place, but Claire just as much politely declined, increasing her pace.

"Claire!" he called out, while she was already on the other side of the street. She turned around to watch him quickly walk to her. "Here." Lucas pulled out his business card, handing one to her. "We're hiring, call me if you are willing."

She chuckled, taking it anyway. "Call you? Why would I call the CEO to hire a writer?"

"Just because." Lucas shrugged. "Now you have my number."

That was stunning, the way he said it, and the way he didn't spare another glance at her, but just walked away, with a satisfied smile on his face.

If anything, Claire would never accept a job offer from Lucas. because she couldn't tell if Lucas was pitying her.

.>.

Claire and lucas sound shady af istg