22. friends boy

Chapter 22 — friends boy

It takes longer than it usually would for Josh to head to the bridge. He isn't ready for whatever awaits or doesn't wait for him there. He doesn't know if Elliot is going to be there.

He did think that he won't believe him when the bridge boy said that he'll be there but as hours passed, the sun set, and the sky darkened, Josh found himself slowly believing him. He now is desperately hoping that Elliot will be there and he hates himself for it.

Hasn't he learned enough?

But maybe the heart never learns, he thinks. It wants to believe what it wants.

Even so, that's not enough of an assurance that Elliot will be there at the bridge.

A lot of things could have happened from the last time he saw him that could have changed his mind — he might have reconsidered their whole whatever-this-was and found it ridiculous, he might have gotten a more important work and forgotten about Josh and the bridge, and the worst of all, he could have lied to Josh just to get rid of him. When Josh brings everything into consideration, from Elliot's reaction to seeing him and how he stopped him from leaving when he rushed out, it does seem unlikely that he'd want to get rid of him, but still, it doesn't stop Josh from freaking out over it.

He freaks out so much that he almost convinces himself to stay in that night instead of going to the bridge. If he doesn't go, he won't know if the bridge boy kept his promise after all or not, save his heart from another let down and give it a small break.

But also... what if Elliot is there, and Josh isn't there?

He finally decides on going. Whatever it may be, he has to see this through. He pretty much shuts out all of his thoughts until he reaches the bridge; it is all he can do to not turn around and go back to his house.

And when he does reach the bridge, he doesn't know just how much hope and anticipation and anxiety has built up in him — it's like he is carrying a mountain inside him. But all that weight, it disappears the moment he looks up.

Because Elliot is there. He is at the bridge. And he is smiling, and Josh hears him saying something, looking down. He follows his gaze and only then he notices that he has company. It's a black dog which has its tongue lolled out, looking up at Elliot.

Josh lets out a big breath, feeling himself instantly relax. Elliot is there as he said; that is a good thing. Maybe this night won't turn out to be so bad either, or at least Josh allows himself to hope so. It is tiring to always be on his tippy toes about everything.

He walks towards the curly-haired boy and his dog. Josh didn't know he had a dog; when he thinks about it, there's not a lot that he does know about this boy. Not even as much as Elliot knows about him. If this night turns out good and they continue being whatever-they-are, Josh decides he will change that. He will learn more about this boy.

Josh doesn't think Elliot notices his presence since the latter is too preoccupied with his dog, but apparently not.

"Hey, golden boy," he turns to Josh just as he is within earshot, smiling.

Golden boy, just hearing him call so once again fills with this indescribable warmth. Josh feels another surge of relief flow through him — he absolutely hated it when Elliot called him Josh. It didn't feel right at all even though that is his name. And it made him feel like they are strangers and are at the verge of parting ways. That is not what he wants at all. He hopes that's not what Elliot wants either.

"Hey," the blond puts his hands in his pockets, and tries not to look at the bridge boy for more than a few seconds; he nods to the unexpected company but one that he doesn't mind, "Your dog?"