twenty three

{Tony}

It had just been a few minutes since he got the call from Fury saying that there was a nuke heading for New York and though the situation didn't seem that bright, Tony knew what he had to do. He was the only one who could.

"I got a nuke coming in, it's gonna blow in less than a minute," he said, flying towards the nuke and started to catch up with it as it came closer to the city. "And I know just where to put it."

"Stark, you know that's a one-way trip," Steve said from the other side of the radio.

"Save the rest for the trip J."

"Sir, miss Dawson has been unresponsive for the last 40 minutes. Shall I try her?" Jarvis asked, knowing well by now how close the two had started to become.

"40 minutes? Let's give it a shot."

"And might I advise you to also inform miss Potts. I'd imagine she would also be quite worried."

"Go for it," He said as Jarvis sent a text to Pepper.

The screen showed a picture of Jade as Jarvis tried to come through to her radio, but Tony was only left with disappointment when there was no response.

"Damn it, Jade."

-

[Jade]

Everything seemed to hurt when she regained consciousness, the heavy concrete still laying on top of her. She took a deep breath and felt her lungs and rib scream in pain, and it didn't help that the dust around her made her cough.

She used her strength to push one of the pieces above her out of the away and supported herself with one arm to slightly sit up, giving her a clear view of the outside. She started coughing again as the dust started to clear.

She felt something on her face and lifted her hand to the spot. When it came back the fingers were covered with sticky blood, making Jade let out a groan and let herself fall down on her back again

She felt so drained but knew she had to get back to saving the world so she pushed herself up again only to realize her legs were stuck.

"Oh, you've got to be joking with me."

She looked down only to not see her feet, two big pieces of the ceiling covering them almost completely. At first, she thought she could just push it off and get back up, but she soon realized that it was too heavy to move and she couldn't feel her feet either.

She let out a groan of frustration and was just about to close her eyes when she saw something fly across the sky, something she recognized all too well.

"Damn it, Tony. Either I'm seeing things or you really have a rocket on your back," she mumbled to herself as she started to become more tired.

She tried as hard as she dared to pull her legs out but it only ended with the roof shifting and crushing her legs even harder, making her let out a scream of pain. She pulled again and failed again, so instead, she looked up to see Tony fly through the wormhole before her gaze was directed towards the piece of the ceiling falling from the roof.

"Motherfu-" but she never got to finish before the piece hit her in the head, making her become unconscious again.

-

{Tony}

The void of space was like nothing he had seen before. It was cold, it was dark and it also contained the mother-ship of the Chitauri for the moment. He let go of the nuke and it kept flying while fear coursed through him as his suit shut down.

The only thing he could do was stare up at the explosion from the nuke as he started falling down towards the wormhole. The only thing he could do was close his eyes as he became unconscious, his last thoughts hoping that he had succeeded with saving Earth.

When he woke up again it was to the Hulk roaring at him while Thor and Cap were leaning over him.

"What the hell? What happened? Please tell me nobody kissed me."

Cap took the chance to finally breathe out after the long battle. "We won."

Tony smiled a little as he let his head fall down on the ground in satisfaction.

"Alright, yay. Alright. Good job guys. Let's just not come in tomorrow. You ever tried shawarma?" Cap let out a laugh at his question. "There's a shawarma joint about two blocks from here. I don't know what it is, but I want to try it."

"We're not finished yet," Thor said.

"And then shawarma after?" Tony asked, though it was more of a statement.

"By the way, has anyone seen Jade recently?"

"She was supposed to meet us here again when she was done, why?" And since Cap didn't know, he also seemed quite bothered when Tony mentioned it.

"Jarvis said she's been unresponsive for 40 minutes."

"I'm sure the lady is handling herself. Let's seek her out once we've dealt with Loki," Thor said to them and even though he barely knew her, he also sounded slightly worried.

-

"Jade? Come here doggy, doggy, doggy!" the voice of Tony could be heard calling out in the streets of Midtown. "Man, for someone with super-hearing you'd think she could hear someone call her name."

"Stark, any luck finding her?" Caps voice could be heard through the radio.

"Not yet, I'm gonna check a few more building before heading back. Keep me posted if anything comes up."

"Roger that."

He checked a few buildings and had just walked through the entrance of another one when he saw her laying under a pile of concrete. The fear struck him like a lightning bolt and he quickly made his way over to her, careful as to not trip on any other pieces of concrete.

He crouched down next to her and gently tapped her face to check if she was alive. When he got no response he checked her pulse and breathing and was happy to say she was alive for the moment.

He started tapping her face again in another attempt to wake her up. "Hey, Jade. Wakey, wakey. It's time to come back to the land of the living."

He was happy when she groaned in response, but became disappointed once he realized that it was the only response he would get from her.

He tried to push the concreted off from where it trapped her feet, though he almost had to laugh at how heavy it actually was.

"I would be impressed with how much you can handle if you weren't stuck under there," he moved his way to check the wound on her so that she wouldn't bleed to death. "Though I think I have to call Cap in on this one."

And living up to his word, he lifted his hand to his ear to call on Cap. "Hey Spangles, I found her. Though you might want to bring back-up."

"Is there a problem?"

"You'll see when you get here, now hurry up so that she'll actually have her legs left."

"Come again?"

"Just do as I say, Rogers!"

\

Another chapter that brings the Avengers to a close. And since this won't be the last chapter of the book I won't go too in-depth of how fun this has been, I just want to say THANK YOU for reading so far and remember to:

STAY AWESOME!

Until next time ;)

(Added in after publishing) Since the man Jade saved last chapter will become more important I will give him a face claim. I have one in mind, but feel free to guess or make your own suggestions and I'll see if I feel like it fits the character better :)