The Traitor

I walked into the room to find him hunched over his desk, blood oozing over every edge of the desk. The carpet was soaked with what had to be every liter of blood in his body.

I yelled out, "Put the entire building on lock down immediately!"

As the lock down protocol began several others rushed in with their guns drawn.

"It's only me, the President's dead, get the Vice President to a safe location without stepping a foot outside. We need to secure the White House and the perimeter now!"

I continued barking orders to the others as my earpiece squawked a muffled message.

"I...the...Vice...." the voice in my ear was cutting in and out.

"Come again? Repeat yourself."

"I can't get a location on the Vice President or his staff." Replied the voice.

"What do you mean you can't get a location? He should be getting ready to board the helicopter for his trip."

The voice, with obvious distress, replied. "There is no sign of him, sir. There is no sign of his staff. Nothing. I'm sorry, sir."

I radioed the FBI, CIA, NSA and every other agency and ordered them to issue a national state of emergency. The news picked up on the story within moments. The President was dead, the Vice President was missing, the country is going into a panic. The phones started ringing with calls from every countries leaders concerned with the situation and offering their condolences.

My personal cell phone rang, "Hello."

The voice on the phone said, "Meet me in the underground bunker alone."

"Mr. Vice President?" I asked, my voice sounding as stunned as I felt.

"Yes. Meet me in ten minutes, understood?" He asked.

"I'll be there. But what's going on?" I asked to dead air, the call had ended.

..............

The Vice President, surrounded by armed guards and his staff motioned for me to enter the room. "Thanks for coming, Captain."

"I got here as soon as I could but it's chaos up there. I'm glad you got to safety but how did you get here before the news even broke?" I asked, perplexed by the situation.

"Ahh, you see I came down right after I slit his throat. This is a coup. I'll be running this country from here for a bit as my plan plays out..." he paused briefly, "Right about now military installations across the country are being overrun by my army. Within the hour I will be in complete control of the country and then the world; everyone will bow to me."

"What the fuck are you talking about, sir?" I yelled as one of his guards shot me in the knee, I hit the ground. "Aaagh!"

Above ground I can hear jets roaring over the White House as sirens blare in response to the national emergency. The Vice President stood with a sneer on his face, glaring at me. The phones of his operatives began to ring. One by one fist bumps started across the room until a small celebration broke out.

"Victory...is ours." The Vice President gloated.