Woeful Addictions

Wrapped in a blanket shivering, after sleeping under the bridge in thirty degree weather, Lina made her way to the meal site. Her home was destroyed by a fire that started during a wild night of crack and heroin. Both of her children died during the fire, now she lives on the streets hiding from the law, sleeping around to stay high. She knows getting caught will have her looking at thirty to fifty years behind bars. She missed her children deeply but did not feel responsible for their deaths.

As she neared the meal site she noticed several police officers were making their way through the crowd of homeless people. A car came to a stop next to Lina. She walked up to the window, banging on it like a mad woman. Her dingy hair was ratty and lice filled. The driver partially rolled down his window, thinking she just wanted a couple bucks. "I-I-I n-n-need a ride." She pleaded with the man driving the car. "I can't help you, sorry ma'am. Here's a couple bucks though." Lina lost it at that. "I don't want your fuckin' money. I need a fuckin' ride!" She was banging on the car's window and kicking his tires as he tore out of there. "You asshole. I would've sucked your dick on the way!"

On her way to the homeless hangout she noticed a car still running. She hopped into the driver's seat and sped off. A half-mile down the road a cry erupted from the backseat. "What the fuck! I mean of all the damned things!" She screamed, as she turned around to throw the kid out of the car. An idea surfaced before she made her move. She needed some money, the black market paid well for young children. A couple of miles down the road, Lina abandoned the car and wrapped herself and the baby up in her blanket.

She traipsed her way through alleys on her way to her dealer's house. She knew he would know the right people, plus she could get a bump while she was there. As she approached his door two heavily armed men stepped out of it, blocking her way. "Ivan's not seein' anyone right now. You gotta go." "But I need to see him, right now!" Lina barked as she uncovered the baby. "Get your fuckin' kid outta here, this is no place for that child." "This ain't my kid, I'm tryna to sell it." She replied. "Boss! We need you out here! There's a crazy bitch on the porch." Yelled one of the guards.

A towering Ivan stepped out of the door, his stature, along with his tattoo covered face, was an intimidating sight. Lina rushed up on him and took the butt of a gun to her face. She stumbled backwards, blood oozed from her nose. She yelled up at Ivan, "Back your fuckin bouncers up!" "What do ya want, Lina?" Ivan shouted at her. She showed him the baby. "I only deal in cash, you ain't gettin' nothin' for a kid." he said. She said, "I want you to find someone to buy him. I need the money, I'll leave and never be back." "Yeah, give me a minute." he replied.

After a half hour, Ivan came back out. "Go to the north side. I gotta guy lined up." He handed her directions to the meetup location. "Thank you, thank you! Can I get a bump before I leave?" she asked Ivan. "Fuck no, get on up outta here." he said. "Come on, I'll make it worth it." she said as she rubbed herself and licked her lips at him. "Get her the hell outta here boys!" Ivan said, turning towards the door. They grabbed her and the kid and shoved them into a van.

"Fuck him," she said "he don't know what good pussy is, but you boys do don't ya?" His guards sat silently in the front seat, not acknowledging her at all. Pulling up to the location, the guards looked at each other then at Lina, "Get out! Leave the baby!" Lina started to protest but the guy in the passenger seat jumped out, flung her door open, and dragged her out by the hair. He threw her into the drainage ditch. She was trying to claw her way out of it when the other guy stepped on her back, holding her down. Ivan pulled up in a car moments later. "Lina, after you killed your kids I told you not to come back around, didn't I?" "B-b-but..." she stuttered. "Shut up! You still came back around. Then you want to sell me someones kid for my shit. I'm goin' to help you alright. I'm goin' to put an end to your miserable life." Ivan told her. "No, no, no!" she screamed but to no avail. Two loud shots rang out. The last thing Lina heard was the startled baby screaming.