Writer's Block

As I listlessly scavenged my cupboards for something to eat, partially developed characters and plot ideas teased my brain.  I run my fingers through my hair, basically tearing it out, when I realize I have not taken my shower today.  I guess I will shower first, then find something to eat.  After that, it is back to the keyboard. 

Dragons, knights, vampires, and sprites, I could not see there faces or feel their personal qualities but my shower was opening up my creativity.  As the steam from my shower cleared the bathroom, so to, did my thought process.  Okay, I just need to eat.  Something nutritious, a brain food perhaps.  No, no, something quick so I can get to work, I have not even settled on a title yet.  The only can of Spaghetti-O's grabs my attention.  I open it eating straight from the can.  Finally, I can sit down to start typing, just one more minute, I need a drink to wash down the food.  Water, milk, or coffee, that is all I have to drink.  I think a soda would quench my thirst  but then I would have to leave. 

With my keys in the ignition and the car started, I think to myself that I must get back immediately so I can finally write something down.  The store is just a couple blocks away so a few minutes is all it should take.  Normally I want the stoplight to be green, I am fine with being stuck at the red light today.  It will give me some time with my thoughts...my favorite song just came on the radio.  In the car, looking like a fool, I danced my way through the intersection.  I found a great parking spot today.  That never happens.  Just a quick stop by the soda aisle, then it is back home to work on my novel. 

After an drawn-out visit to the store, I decided to get lunch and dinner while I was there, I was able to get straight back home. My desk chair beckons me, my computer seduces me.  With my hands on the keyboard I am finally ready.  But first, I wonder what the weather is supposed to be like this evening?  I better check that before I start writing. 

A few hours later, stupid Facebook and YouTube, I plaster my hands to the keyboard.  No more distractions for me.   Scenes begin to play out in front of me.  A fantastical land with overgrown trees, the size of skyscrapers, and mythical creatures stir in my brain.  There are little goofy guys mostly toothless besides one sharp front tooth that juts from their lower jaw.  Something is finally coming together.  Oh, my favorite show is on.  I can take a quick break to watch it. 

A few more hours later it is almost ten o'clock at night, about time for bed.  I am determined to get something on the blank page that has been taunting me all day.   "It was a dreary night...".