The Reporter

"We are out here interviewing anyone who will speak to us about what has been happening.  The scene is dramatic and tragic, yet heartwarming.  So many people have come out of their way to help victims of this senseless crime."  Rob reported excitedly but with sincerity, "Excuse me, sir!  I'm Rob with channel sixteen news.  Can you answer a few questions?"

"Yeah, I guess I can but let's make it quick." 

"Okay thank you.  Were you in the crowd when the first car drove through it?  If so, can you describe the scene?"

The bystander replied with a cracking voice, "So, I guess I was there.  I was actually about a half-block from where the first car started mowing people over.  Bodies were sent ten, maybe even fifteen feet in the air.  People were screaming like I've never heard before..." his eyes welled up "...sorry, excuse me for a second." 

Rob said, "No problem.  Take all the time you need."

"I came across a young child, maybe ten years old, who had been hit by the car.  He was lying in a pool of his own blood, that's where all of this mess came from," the interviewee said, pointing to his clothes, "he was alive when I got to him.  I tried everything I could to help him, he died.  You hear that?!  He died you spineless sons of bitches!  Sorry, I saw the second car plow through the other side of the street, then barreling towards me.  I fled into a building until the commotion died down.  That's all."

"Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today.  I wish you well." Rob said as he darted towards a police officer.  "Excuse me, officer.  Can I ask you a couple of questions?"

"Do you think I got time for that?  Really?  God damn reporters!  Get him outta here!"  the officer yelled.

"Yes sir, sorry.  Let's see if I can find anyone else to speak with me."

A young woman walked in Rob's direction. 

"Ma'am!  Excuse me would you mind speaking with me for a moment?"  Rob asked as he jabbed the microphone in her face.

"S-s-sure." she replied stunned, standing in her blood-soaked clothes.

"First off, is that your blood?  Are you okay?"

"Um...yeah, no.  Some of it is but, yeah I'm fine, but I was trying to help an elderly woman who was...was crushed by a light pole.  She was covered in blood, her clothes...they were stained red.  A piece of the light pole had jabbed into her abdomen.  She was crying for her husband who was lying dead a few feet from her." she broke down on camera and cut off the interview.

"I am so sorry, ma'am.  Please go, get looked at.  Get yourself taken care of, thank you."

Rob sprinted to the scene of the third car.  He was stopped over a block away by a line of officers. 

He spoke to an officer, "Excuse me, I am a member of the press.  I want to get my camera crew in there and get some interviews."

"That ain't gonna happen.  You need to stay behind this line." the officer told Rob.

Rob caught a glimpse of some action down the block.  "What's going on down there?  Is there a suspect still alive?  Why do they have the car surrounded?"

"No comment!  Get outta here!"

"Hey, Steve!"  Rob yelled to his cameraman.  "We're going to go around this way.  If we cut through this alley I think we can avoid the blockade, maybe even get an interview and some good shots of the action."

As they ran through the alley a large explosion tore through the area. 

"Oh shit, did you feel that!  I could feel the heat from that explosion!"  Rob screamed. 

Steve was still filming everything. 

"Look!  Do you see that?  Point the camera over there."  Rob was pointing towards several downed officers near what was a car, but now, was just a shell consumed in a ball of fire. 

"If you're still watching at home, this just happened.  We felt an explosion and as we came through the alley behind us we stumbled upon this carnage.  At least ten officers are down around an exploded car.  Building's have been severely damaged near the bla..." Rob paused.  "Steve!  Are you getting this?  Several armed people just ran from one of those buildings over there, I believe it was the Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  What are they doing?"

Steve and Rob dropped to the ground, trying to get in cover. 

"Keep filming Steve!  Folks if you are still watching, please call the police department.  They need to know that these armed men are heading right for them."  Gunshots rang out seconds later. 

"Oh my God!  I hope those officers are okay.  Everyone at home please pr...Oh shit, Steve run!"

The gunmen spotted Rob and Steve.  Steve kept filming with Rob just a couple steps ahead of him. 

"So we are now the targets.  Melissa, sweetie, if you're watching this I love you.  If anything happens tell the kids I love them too."  Rob said.  His phone was ringing in his pocket.

"Steve, we're going to go back through that alley."  Rob said panting. "I'm not sure we're going to make it but any viewers at home..."  Rob stopped mid-sentence as five armed men formed a line at the end of the alleyway.  The other men were still running up behind him and Steve. 

"Put the camera down!" one of the gunmen yelled in a thick Irish accent. 

"We are live right now.  Everyone will see you guys.  Everyone will know who you are.  You won't get away with this!"  Rob exclaimed. 

Steve laid the camera down by his feet but kept it on record.  He raised his hands to show them he was not going to fight with them. 

"Step forward, cameraman!" 

Steve stepped forward without saying a word.

"Don't listen to them Steve!  They're going to kill us either way!"

Steve's backside appeared on camera.  He took a few more steps then his body jitterbugged as his body was filled with bullet holes.  The camera caught it all, so did everyone still watching. 

"Fuck!  Why?  He followed your commands.  He wasn't armed."  Rob screamed with frustration and fear in his voice. 

"We're just repo..."  Rob was cut off mid-sentence.

"Report this!" a gunmen yelled as both groups of men began firing at Rob. 

Rob fell stomach first to the ground.  His face landing directly in front of the camera.  He mouthed the words "I Love You" through the blood that was pouring out of his mouth.  One of the gunmen grabbed Rob by his hair and tossed him aside.  He grabbed the camera.

"America, so big and bad, but look.  Not so much anymore.  If you haven't been watching, this is happening in several cities across your disgusting country."  the gunmen gave a big smile to the camera as he shut it off.