World at War

As the smoke cleared from the first major defensive battle of World War III, Dave shook at the sight of the raw carnage across the city. The tallest buildings were reduced to piles of dust. Once proud landmarks were now non-existent. Body's were strewn across the landscape by the thousands. Layer upon layer of destruction and death made Dave fall to the ground, his chest heaved violently from the sobs. Once he gained some control of himself he stood and surveyed the landscape for other survivors. He could hear shrieks of pain in every direction but could not see the people who howled in agony.

The smell of smoke and gunpowder still hung in the air and fire raged across the land. Dave scavenged the wreckage for living souls. For every person he found still alive he found a hundred dead ones. The ones he could help he did, the ones who could still walk got up and helped him. Over the next few hours, his search party grew from just himself to fifty strong. They amassed a collection of weaponry and ammunition along the way as well as details and mementos of the deceased for their loved ones. Twelve hours after starting his search and rescue mission his group was now well over one hundred and darkness was creeping over them. As dusk turned to night, they put together a makeshift fortification to store their cache of weapons, ammo, and for a place to rest.

Dave awoke as the sun was peeking over the horizon. The first hint of the new day caused Dave to shudder at the thought of what was still to come. After some procrastination, Dave began to rouse the others. Morale was low so Dave stood tall, waving tattered remnants of the American flag, while delivering an impassioned speech. By the end of his speech the group was hooting, hollering, and high-fives were abundant. With morale up, they began their trek through the wasteland.

Survivors were far and few in-between, or at least the ones that could walk, over the next several hours. Fifteen miles from where they began, stomachs started to grumble. Food had been scarce the previous thirty-six hours, and was pretty much absent now. But, as they topped the hill they were currently scaling, a lone building was standing among the rubbish. Although it was damaged they could read the sign, Hill-Top Grocery. They wanted to rush the store but there were soldiers, in enemy uniforms, actively ransacking the building. Dave and a few others wanted to overtake them but most wanted to avoid more death, especially being outnumbered two-to-one.

While Dave and his apparent number two guy, Seth, were discussing their options a bullet tore through Seth's chest, leaving a three inch hole where his heart was. Blood covered Dave's face as he dove behind some twisted metal. The rest scattered for cover. Machine gun fire tore through several others, grenades ripped a few to shreds. Dave hollered for guns to be passed out. Now their only option was to fight. Down to just about seventy-five in the group, they laid down fire on the enemy, who now outnumbered them approximately three-to-one.

The battle waged on. After two hours of ceaseless gunfire, Dave's group was running low on ammo and people. Retreat was an option, surrender was a death sentence. Sustenance was necessary so they forged ahead.

As their supplies dwindled further, they managed to cut the opposition force in half, but, were themselves down to thirty people. Things were looking bleak for Dave's group. Weapons were jamming and some did not have enough ammo for their weapon. Abruptly, the enemy stopped firing. This rattled the group more than the constant barrage of bullets whining and whizzing past their heads. They could hear frantic shouting by the store. This was an opportune time to for them to make a move. Dave issued an order to rush the enemy. Those with ammunition were to rain bullets on the enemy position while others would charge with knives, hammers, axes, or whatever they had.

As Dave was getting ready to lead the way, a group of soldiers came charging up the opposite side of the hill. Hundreds of troops unloaded clips of ammunition on the enemy position. They were dropping like flies. They had been blindsided. You could see defeat in their faces. In unison, Dave's group let out a sigh of relief. This battle had been won but it was just the beginning of a world at war.