Chapter 4

3rd person POV
You slowly crept down the hall of your quiet house. No one would be up at this hour. You sneaked and ducked under things and finally you made it to the front door without getting seen. As you made your exit and quietly closed the door of your former house, Turpin's light in his room lit up the street. You heard running down the stairs but you couldn't hear the rest because you were already off, sprinting into the night. Far away in the distance you heard your husbands gravely voice scream out your name but you just kept running. After a while, you ended up in the market where you first met Todd. You decided to slow down and catch your breath because no one was following you.

Your POV
As I walked the streets of town, I was slowly regretting my decision. Where would I go now? I have no family and no friends that would take me in. Could I live off the streets? No way, too dangerous. But my thoughts were interrupted when a few men stopped me. "What are you doing out this late at night, little lady?" One man asked me. "I'm just, uh taking a walk!" I replied quietly, afraid of what they'd do to me. "Big mistake" he smirked. "Boys, get her." That was it. I was off again. I heard their loud echoing footsteps getting faster and closer to me but the sound didn't match the intensity of my heart pounding in my chest. As I ran, I thought there was no use until I saw a shop in the distance. I didn't even read the name, I just started pounding on the door and screaming for whoever was in there to open up. Suddenly, the door opened and holding onto the handle was a woman with unkept hair, a black dress, and dark bags that look a lot like Mr. Todd's. Wow, does anyone get sleep around here?! Anyways, she was holding on the door and saw my condition. She led me inside and shut it before the men saw. After that we kept quiet until we heard one of the men say, "oy! I bet she went this way!" And ran off in the opposite direction. I smiled, tiredly and slumped down in a chair. I looked over to the woman who saved my life and she had her hands on her hips and was looking me up and down. "Thank you so much for saving me, miss" I breathed out. "Not a problem, dear. Say, do you have any baking experience?" You thought about it. Before Turpin took you away, you were able to bake all sorts of pastrys and sweets with your mother. "Well I used to help cook with my mother, but I'm sure I can do it!" You replied happily. "I like your determination, love. I guess you'll have to do. So, would you like to be my assistant in helping me make pies for my shop?" She asked me. "I'd love too!" I replied back, literally jumping up and down. Wow! I already got a job?! That's surprising. "Wait if your gonna work for me, I need to know your name, love" she said. "Oh it's Y/N" "huh Y/N. Has a nice ring to it!" She replied back. "Now what may I call you?" I asked "Nellie, Nellie Lovett."