Cower Away

Warnings: FLUFFY AF, sad Bucky

3rd person POV

As Bucky entered Avengers tower for the first time he was very cautious. Shuri has finally cleared his brain but he still believed he was dangerous. Steve showed him to the common area where everyone was sitting.

"Everyone, this is Bucky" he introduces him. Bucky cowers away slightly. Natasha walked up and offered a hand for him to shake. He just waved hello. Natasha lowered her hand and smiled.

(A few days later)

Bucky was beating away at the punching bag while everyone else trained. He could picture the hydra symbol on the punching bag, just like the ones hydra had him use. He could see all the innocents he killed with the pull of a trigger or the snap of a neck.  He could imagine the splatter of blood from a bullet puncture he made. His through the process is stopped when he hears Sam call out to him.

"Hey Bucky, wanna spar?" He asks.

"Uh, no thanks." He says quietly. He gets up and leaves the gym without another word.

(Time skip)

All Avengers except for Steve and Bucky gathered in the kitchen area.

"Why doesn't Bucky let anyone touch him like he didn't even let Nat shake his hand?" Tony asks suddenly. Everyone looked around and shrugged. But then they all slowly realized that no one had touched Bucky one, not even bumped into him.

"Okay well I don't know about the rest of you but I'm hungry." Sam says. They all leave the tower to go to eat somewhere.

(Meanwhile)

Steve was sitting on the couch reading a book when a teary-eyed Bucky came in.

"I-I can't do this a-any more Stevie," He says breaking down to tears. Steve sets down his book and pulls Bucky down to sit on his lap.

"Shh, it's okay, it's okay" Steve whispers. He hugs Bucky into his chest.

"I'm a monster, I can't even touch anyone here without being afraid I'm going to kill them." He sobs.

"Shh, baby, it's okay, shh." Steve coos. "You are not a monster, the Winter Soldier was, but you are not." He says calmly into Bucky's ear. He lays Bucky's head into his lap and plays with his hair as he talks. "Your Name is James Buchanan Barnes, you are my best friend and the love of my life." He says. Bucky's eyelids get heavy as he listens to Steve's talk. Steve continues to play with Bucky's hair as Bucky falls a sleepy wrapping his arms around Steve's middle needing to hold on to something just to make sure he's really there. Steve leans down and presses a kiss to the side of Bucky's head.

(Time skip)

The Avengers walked back into the tower after eating lunch. They walked into the common area but stopped dead in their tracks when they saw Bucky snuggled up on Steve's lap while Steve played with his hair. Steve points to Bucky and then draws a line across his neck to say that they better not wake him. They all nod.

Bucky shifts him his sleep and yawns before sitting up and snuggling his face into Steve's chest and wrapping his arms around him. Steve continues to pet his hair as the other Avengers stare in awe. Obviously, they were not told about the two supersoldier's relationship.

"Mph, love you Stevie" Bucky mumbles barely loud enough for the team to heat but they do hear it non the less.

"Love you too Buck, go to sleep," He says pressing a kiss to the top of Bucky's head.

The last thing Bucky saw before shutting his eyes to go to sleep was Tony handing Natasha a hundred dollar bill.