𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚞𝚎

¸¸♬·¯·♩·¯·♬¸¸

     IN THE SMALL TOWN OF Derry, Maine, there was a family that stuck out from the rest. The Watsons were a special family, and they knew it. They were not offended; in fact, they chose to ignore the rest of the town and the whispers that followed them.

Martha Watson, the matriarchy of the family, was quite strict. Ever since Harold Watson died, Martha was very controlling of her daughter. She forced upon her a strict schedule during the summer, much to Cordelia's displeasure. There was a certain perimeter around their house that she wasn't able to cross, unless she was given special permission.

Cordelia was used to it, though. Her father died when she was a young girl, so the way of life that she lived was programmed into her head as normal. She'd have to immediately get out of bed when her alarm awoke her at five-thirty, or her mother wouldn't let her go outside; she'd have to do more studying.

After she woke up, Cordelia would practice the violin and the piano for an hour each. She'd make breakfast for Martha before she had to read for a few hours. She'd make lunch, do the dishes and laundry, cook dinner, and other household chores.

Once in a while, she'd be able to leave the perimeter that she was forced to stay inside to buy her grandma's medication from the pharmacy. It wasn't a very exciting task, but it was the closest thing to freedom she had; she cherished it.

However, it wasn't complete freedom. Martha made sure that Cordelia always had someone to go with her because she didn't trust many people in Derry. Her and her neighbor, Sonia Kaspbrak, came to a deal where Cordelia and Sonia's son Eddie would go to the pharmacy together. It was awkward between the two children at first, but the two soon became friends.

She wanted to meet his other friends that he liked to talk about, but her mother forbade her from seeing other boys. Hence why she attended an all-girls school in New York.

Boarding school wasn't the worst thing in the world. Cordelia had a few friends there, though there was a lot of drama between the students. It angered the Watson girl because she wanted to learn and attend school without worrying whether or not one of her friends would spread a false lie about her or another friend to the whole school.

It happened more often than one would think.

When it had finally reached June, Cordelia couldn't have been happier. She was able to go home and didn't have to deal with anymore drama for the next few months. Though she wasn't excited for her mother's schedule for her, she was completely okay with leaving the school.

Martha had bought her a plane ticket for her and mailed it to her a few weeks before Cordelia's school ended. She frowned when she first received it because wished—she hoped—that one time her mother would pick her up from school. She knew that she was a few states away, but Martha was the one who sent her there in the first place.

As she walked through the streets of her hometown, Cordelia breathed the fresh smell of summer air. She let a grin spread across her lightly freckled-face before she continued her journey home. However, she had no idea what that summer had in store for her.

The summer of 1989.

¸¸♬·¯·♩·¯·♬¸¸

i'm re-writing this story so i'm sorry if you get a bunch of notifications for it :)

don't be a silent reader :)

vote, comment, share