𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚘

¸¸♬·¯·♩·¯·♬¸¸

     IT WAS THE NEXT DAY when Cordelia's adventures truly began—when she started feeling like an actual kid. She woke up the next day at five in the morning, as her usual schedule would go. Her calloused fingers pressed down on the strings as she practiced her violin for the next hour. Piano practice soon followed after.

She quickly ran downstairs at exactly seven o'clock and started to prepare her mother's breakfast. Cordelia bit her lip in anticipation as she awaited her mother's arrival. The eggs and bacon grew cold with Martha's absence, and her daughter soon grew disappointed.

Her feet started to take her to Harold's old office door before she could even think about what she was doing. Her small hand rapped on the door. Martha's cold voice echoed in the room, asking what her daughter wanted.

"I made your breakfast," she timidly answered back. The door swung open to reveal Martha, heavy bags under her red and swollen eyes. Her icy blue orbs narrowed at the young girl before her. Skinny fingers gripped the plate before it was yanked from Cordelia's hands.

After staring at the breakfast before her, Martha dropped the plate to the floor. The glass shattered on impact as it collided with the hard wooden floors. Cordelia jumped and shut her eyes tight at the loud sounds. The glass pieces cut open her skin on her ankles, successfully ripping her white tights.

"It's cold," her mother sneered. "Pick up this mess. I'll make my own food when I'm hungry." The door to the office slammed in the young Watson's face. A few tears slid down her rosy cheeks before she bent down to pick up the glass shards. The eggs were embedded into the wood, and Cordelia frowned at the extra work she had to do.

After taking a wet cloth and wiping up the mess in the hallway, Cordelia stepped outside. Immediately, the humid air caused her breathing to become more heavy and strained. The sun beat down on the earth, heating up her skin on impact. Her cheeks flushed as she sat in the front yard reading her book. The heat was getting worse, but she ignored it as she relished the little amount of free time she had.

A door to her right slammed shut and she saw her neighbor Eddie and two of his friends leave the house. Her blue eyes focused on them as they grabbed their bikes. She noticed the backpack on Bill's shoulders and furrowed her eyebrows. She wondered where they were going.