Chapter 2: The Galaxy Beyond

Everyone was in a tense standoff. The unknown being spoke perfect English. Nobody knew what to do now. Steve put his hand up, lowering his shield.

"It's okay," he said, "we don't want to hurt you."

"Answer my questions!" The being said, "Who are you? How did I get off of the Stardestroyer? Where's Thrawn?"

"We're the Avengers," Tony replied, "Spider-man brought you here, and who is Thrawn?" (Sorry nobody is dumb enough to ask WHY is Thrawn.)

"Does that answer your questions?" Steve asked.

The person was starting to calm down. He cautiously approached the group. His suspicions about them were high. He didn't know whether or not he could trust them, so when one of them put a hand on his shoulder, he shook it off. They continued into the kitchen where everyone just stood around him.

"Your turn," Tony said, "who are you, where are you from, why are you here, how many of you are there, will there be more of you coming, how long are you staying or are you just passing through, and can we get you something to drink or eat?"

The person took a deep breath. He still didn't trust them, but he had no idea what they'd do if he wasn't honest.

"If you have any Caf I'll take that," he said.

Everyone just stood in silence wondering what the heck "caf" was. After nobody made any motion and just exchanged looks, the being let out an exasperated sigh.

"You have it in the mornings to wake up?" He said, "It tastes bitter until you add flavor enhancers? It looks like a black liquid?"

"Coffee," Steve said, "sure thing, I'll get it for you."

"Thank you."

As the coffee brewed he began his long story:

"My name is Ezra Bridger. I am a Jedi from the planet Lothal in the Outer Rim. For the past four years I've been fighting the evil Galactic Empire to get them off of my world and to honor my... parents. Only days ago, the most threatening Imperial to my planet, Grand Admiral Thrawn, returned from a mission to try to sway me to the Emperor's side. I resisted and managed to get Thrawn out of the system to this planet. I'm just here because I need to keep him from returning to the wider galaxy to destroy the Rebellion."

He got his coffee with a carton of cream and a bowl of sugar. He added enough and began drinking before continuing.

"I don't know exactly how many stormtroopers were in the Stardestroyer, but Thrawn is leading them. If we can prevent him from sending out a distress signal, then there won't be anymore..."

He stopped himself. He remembered something:

"What are you counting on me for?!"

"To find me."

He could feel a tear roll down his face. He could explain her coming to get him when he told them how long he was planning on staying. He continued.

"coming. I'm only staying until I capture Thrawn or until... until... she finds me."

"She?" Natasha asked, "I thought you said there wouldn't be anymore coming."

"There shouldn't be anymore Imperials coming. She is... she and I..."

"Wife?" Clint asked.

"No, but I..."

"You don't have to explain it to us, Ezra," Daisy said, "we can get the picture."

There was no longer tension. There was instead awkward silence. Thor walked in, angry. He was about to grab Ezra by the back of his shirt, when Ezra ducked and thrust his had towards Thor, knocking him back again.

"At ease, Thor," Tony said, "he isn't our enemy."

"Then why is it that every time I am near him," he asked in anger, "he launches me into a wall?"

"Maybe," Ezra said, "because the first thing you did was tap on my scars?"

He gestured to the parallel lines on his face.

"How was I supposed to know those were scars and not birthmarks?"

"Wait," Tony said, "how did you get those scars?"

Ezra brushed them and explained, "It was three years ago. I was attacked by a person called the Inquisitor. His lightsaber left these on me."

"Lightsaber?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, you know: metal hilt, blade powered by a kyber crystal, able to cut through almost anything?"

Everyone looked at him like he was crazy. Ezra rubbed his temples.

"A laser-sword?"

Everyone still stared, completely confused. Ezra then knew: this world was so far removed from the rest of the galaxy that they knew nothing of the war going on, the Jedi, the Separatists, the Clone Wars, nothing.

Sabine, he thought, get here soon.

Let's keep the momentum going!