Chapter 3: Ezra's Fate

Ezra was left outside the main conference room while the six leaders were discussing what should be done to Ezra. He had told them everything he knew was true and some information about Thrawn. In the conference room, the six were in rather casual discussion

"He launched me both times I was around him," Thor said, "so I say, throw him in the Raft with Stane, Cross, and Killian."

"He's a kid," Steve responded, "he wouldn't last a second in there. Plus he said that he fought against evil. He wouldn't fit there."

"So," Natasha said, "get him to a school? He has powers that won't exactly blend seamlessly into normal society."

"He seems to know more than what schooling could teach him," Dr. Banner said, "he could possibly get a job in the private sector."

"We don't even know how old he is," Clint said, "for all we know, he is in his early childhood, and ages quickly."

"Not likely," Banner replied, "he could be older, but aging slowly, but not younger, aging quickly."

Tony had been sitting in silence. He was waiting for an opportunity to bring a brand new option to the table.

"He can't be trusted," Thor argued again, not moving on, "he's dangerous and powerful."

He saw his opportunity.

"Possibly," Tony said, "but if he really is on our side... why not see if he is?"

"Tony," Natasha said with concern, "what are you planning?"

***

Ezra was still sitting in the kitchen. Spider-man and Daisy were with him, and there were a few more people coming in. Ezra could sense that they were all good people fighting evil. He didn't know what they could do, if anything. Two of the people were dark skinned men, one was a light skinned woman, another was a light skinned man, and the other was not human whatsoever.

"So," said one of the dark skinned men, "you're the alien that Peter brought from the crashed ship."

"Wait," Ezra said, turning to Spider-man, "who's 'Peter'?"

Spider-man grabbed the top of his head, and Ezra was surprised to see a human face under the red face.

"He's me," he replied, "Spider-man is my hero name. I'm really Peter Parker."

"And how many other people have hero names?"

Almost everyone raised a hand. They all filled in Ezra as to who they all were. The person who asked if he was the person Peter rescued was named James "Rhodie" Rhodes, who went by War Machine. The other dark skinned person was named Sam Wilson. He went by Falcon. The light skinned human was Scott Lang, the Ant-man. Ezra had to keep himself from snickering at that name. The other two didn't have aliases. The woman was Wanda Maximoff, and the not human thing was called Vision.

"There are more of us," Sam said, "Black Panther, the Wasp, Doctor Strange... what was the word on Captain Marvel?"

"That would be a Thor question." Peter replied.

"Avengers," everyone heard Tony say, "we have an announcement. Meet in the conference room. You too, Ezra. Ms. Johnson, you can join us."

Everyone filed in. Ezra stayed standing near the back. The six members were all at the front of the room. Tony addressed Ezra specifically.

"I see you've met the other Avengers."

"They're all... something," he replied.

He gathered the atmosphere and saw that the only unhappy one of the leaders was Thor. It was understandable; if he was attacked by Thor, he wouldn't want to be in the same room as him, either.

"Mr. Bridger," Steve said, "we've reached a mostly unanimous decision as to what should be done with you."

He shifted his weight, uneasily. What would they do with him? Permanent lock-up? Execution? Exile?

"If you can complete some training so we can gauge your powers, we'd like to have you on the team."

Ezra was confused. The team? They wanted him to become an Avenger? He didn't know what to say.

"Your training begins tomorrow at dawn," Natasha said, "Clint will escort you to your quarters."

Clint stepped forward. Ezra glanced outside and saw that night was coming. Clint walked to the door and waited for Ezra to come. Ezra followed a few seconds later.

"So what do they call you?" Ezra asked.

"Hawkeye." Clint replied, "What about you?"

Ezra remained silent. Nobody gave him a cool alias. The closest he had was Rebel Scum, but that didn't have the same flare as Hawkeye or War Machine.

"So, nothing?" Clint asked after a couple seconds of silence, "You never got called anything?"

"Jedi." Ezra replied, "That's what I am occasionally called. Jedi."

They arrived at his quarters.

"Well," Clint said, "good luck tomorrow, Jedi."

Ezra walked in and sat on the bed. He thought back home, and silently cried out for her to find him.

Sabine, he thought, how long until you find me?