Chapter 12: Splitting Destinies

Ahsoka had decided to stay in the ship while everybody was scrambling to find the villains. Ezra was meditating in his room, Sabin sitting next to him. Through the Force, he saw the shuttle would emerge over a planet that was a giant city. This planet was also surrounded by hundreds of Stardestroyer. He opened his eyes.

"You know where they're going?" Sabine asked.

"Yes." He answered, "they're going to Coruscant."

"Oh, no. The Rebellion will need us."

Ezra closed his eyes for a bit longer.

"No, the Rebels will be fine. They'll be back... and with an army."

"So, should we stay?"

Ezra opened his eyes. He looked at Sabine and smiled.

"I guess so."

She smiled back. They heard a throat clear in the doorway. It was Daisy.

"Mr. Stark wants to have a word with you two. And your friend, wherever she is."

Several minutes later, they were all in front of Tony. None of them could read the expression on his face. It looked neutral, but none of them could tell.

"Unless you know can tell us where Thrawn and his new cohorts went, I'm just assuming we're safe."

"The planet won't be safe," Ahsoka said before Ezra could answer, "an alien threat that the galaxy hasn't seen before will invade this planet seeking to conquer it."

"An unknown alien force?" Ezra asked, "I saw Thrawn and the others coming back with an Imperial army."

"So," Tony asked, "which is it? Unknown aliens, Galactic Empire, neither, both, which?"

"Probably both," Sabine said.

"Alright then, if it's both, we may need all the help we can get."

"No," Ahsoka said, "I won't be able to stay. I'm needed elsewhere."

"Why?" Ezra asked, "What for?"

"A person in the Rebellion will be looking to revive the Jedi order. I'll need to be ready for him whenever he and I meet."

Sabine and Ezra hugged her tight. This was goodbye, and they knew they'd likely never see her again. The three of them separated and Ahsoka left for the ship.

"What about you two?" Tony asked.

"Well," Ezra said, "Thrawn's coming back. I'll help you fight him."

Tony nodded and turned to Sabine.

"And you?"

She looked at Ezra, her mind made up.

"I've already lost you once," she said, "never again. I'm staying, too."

Tony nodded and left to inform the others, leaving them alone.

"So," she asked him, "how hard is it to get used to this planet?"

"Well," he replied, "there's no bacta, no speeders that are relatively silent, they call caf 'coffee', they don't have hyperdrives... you get used to it really fast."

She smiled warmly, and hugged him tightly, tears streaming down her face

"I've missed you. So, so much."

Ezra returned the hug, just as tightly, tears also streaming.

"I've missed you, too. More than you can imagine."

They stayed hugging for some time. They finally separated after hearing a hum from outside. They walked out hand in hand and waved goodbye to Ahsoka. They turned back to the compound and saw Steve walking up to them.

"Is everything alright?" He asked them.

"Everything is fine," Sabine said, "I'm staying with him."

"Well, in that case, you guys have a new assignment."

They both steeled their resolve, and were at attention for the assignment to be delivered. There they stood, Avengers, ready to prepare the Earth for the coming of Thrawn and any other threat.

Odd place to end it, I know.

But worry not; epilogue soon to follow.