Chapter 7: More Heroes & Dead Ends

Peter shook Daredevil's hand. Ezra was skeptical about him and his motives; he did a bit of research and if he was called "the Devil of Hell's Kitchen" he was probably not a good person. Peter introduced him to Daredevil.

"Ezra," Peter said, "this is Daredevil. Daredevil, Ezra."

They stood still.

"He doesn't trust me," Daredevil said after a few moments, "he probably doesn't know who's side I'm on."

"Well," Ezra replied, "you're called the Devil of Hell's Kitchen. The Devil, from what I have heard, is a being of pure evil."

"Can you tell if someone is good or evil?"

"Yes. Bad people have a dark aura around them."

"And do I have a dark aura?"

Ezra stared in suspicion. He closed his eyes and sensed for his aura... he wasn't evil. It surprised him. He opened his eyes.

"Well if you're not evil, how did you get the name Devil of Hell's Kitchen?"

"It was a long time ago. Fisk was tearing apart my city and had to be stopped. He framed me for doing terrible things. That's how I got the nickname."

Ezra nodded, then had a question.

"Who is Fisk?"

"He ran the underworld of this city, came into the light as a philanthropist, got locked away because of me. He is the wealthy kingpin of crime in this city."

Ezra understood without him saying anything more; this Kingpin must have had his hand in everything: the police, the news, possibly even the governing body of the city. Daredevil was fighting a one-man war against corruption. Ezra thought it was brave, but also rather risky. Granted, he had fought against an evil government, but he wasn't alone.

"Come on," Daredevil said interrupting his thoughts, "they're waiting for us."

Ezra and Peter were confused.

"They who?" Peter asked.

"Some friends of mine."

***

Ezra was even more confused: they were now in a building with three additional heroes apart from him, Daredevil, and Spider-man. There was a light skinned woman, a lights skinned man, and a dark skinned man. All of them were good people, but Ezra didn't know what to think of them. They introduced themselves as, respectively, Jessica Jones, the Immortal Iron Fist, and Luke Cage.

"Alright listen," Daredevil said to Peter and Ezra, "we know that you two were sent by Stark to recruit one or all of us to the Avengers, but none of us are interested. Fisk is still running the crimes of this city from prison, and we're all that stands in his way."

"I'm still fighting crime here," Peter said, "and I'm also an Avenger. Why can't you guys do both?"

"Because we don't play by rules that well. And we don't think Stark and Iron Fist would get along too well."

"But--"

"No means no."

Peter sighed in defeat. He and Ezra exited the building.

"Karen?" Peter said into his, "Contact Mr. Stark and tell him we need a pickup where we ran into Tombstone."

"Will do, Peter."

***

Ezra arrived alone. Stark told Peter he should go back home and wait for his next assignment. Ezra went to his room, exhausted. He'd given his briefing on the flight back. Back in the conference room, Daisy, Steve, and Dr. Banner were rewatching the ships that flew out of the Stardestroyer. They followed them up to the point where they just disappeared. They had a decent starting point that they ordered agents to go to begin a search. They came up empty where they disappeared.

"How can they just disappear like that?" Steve asked, "Where could they have gone?"

"Check for any emitions that are trailing those ships," Dr. Banner said, "they could at least give us an idea as to where they could have gone, and possibly where they are now."

There was an exhaust trail, but where the ships disappeared, so did the exhaust.

"How can they just blink away and leave no trail?" Daisy asked, "Even if they cloaked, they'd still leave something to follow."

Steve then noticed something.

"Wait," he said, "the time stamp. Thirty minutes are missing between the last second it's visible and the second it's gone."

"Are you telling me," Dr. Banner said, "that they might not even be in the same country as us?"

"They might have gone faster and landed far away," Daisy said, "or veered to another location while the satellite was offline. We lost them."

I think I'ma do a time skip.

Next part coming soon.