Chapter Two

"Are you really going to make me go back to school alone?" Blaise flopped over the edge of the couch and gave him a disgruntled look. Draco rolled his eyes and set his box down on the coffee table.

"Are you really going to make me unpack all of this stuff?"

"It's your apartment."

"Yeah, and I'm paying you to help me unpack."

"Oh, come off it, you gave me a galleon and then we just shoved a bunch of stuff into your trunk. Besides, I'm really only here to talk you into coming back to Hogwarts."

"I'm not going back to the school. I've told you a thousand times and I'm not going to say anything more about it."

"Alright, fine," he said, his hands held up in defeat. He sat up and rubbed his hand over his face. "Don't you think this place is a little small? You've got plenty of money, why not go for something bigger?"

"It's fine." He wasn't going to admit to him that he had had the same thought though. The kitchen was right off the living room and there was just the one bedroom and a tiny bathroom but he wasn't going to complain. Apparently, in Muggle-money, it was a good deal for the price he had got it at. "I'm really only going to be sleeping and eating here. I've met with the Minister, Kinglsey, a couple of times and he wants me on as soon as possible at St. Mungos. I've already started my trainings, day and night, not only there but at the Muggle hospital as well."

"What's that like, the Muggle hospital?"

"It's interesting. They have a lot of practices that seem archaic but for them and their technology, it works alright. The methods are very easy to learn at least."

"So, you've really started then."

"Yep. A few days after Kinglsey first brought me to the Ministry, he took me to St. Mungos to meet with the Healer who is going to be training me. His name is Jason Talley and he seems like a nice enough guy. And his wife, Janey, she's a Muggle doctor and she's training me over at her hospital."

"They nice?"

"Seem to be. They're older, never had kids of their own and she's made me dinner twice this week already. He's kind of quiet, but he's very smart. Plus, he's the only Healer willing to work with me."

"I wish I'd had the opportunity to go straight to work. I don't really want to go back to school. But, maybe once I'm out you'll save me a spot on your team?"

"Yeah, of course. You'll be okay up at the school. Do you know if anyone else is going back?"

"From our year just myself, Milli, and Tracey. Theo's got a job somewhere in Diagon Alley and I haven't heard from Greg. Last I heard he'd gotten a job somewhere."

"I haven't either. I tried sending him a few owls, but they all came back. It's been quiet with him, not like it used to be, not since Vincent died," he finished quietly. He thought about them both a lot, but now wasn't the time to dwell on what-ifs. "Anyway, I haven't really spoken to many people outside of you and Jason and Janey."

"Not even your parents?"

"I haven't heard from them since they were taken away. It's not been too long, but it's been killing me thinking about them there in Azkaban."

"You know they don't have the dementors anymore, right? They got rid of them right off."

"Yeah, but it's still a pretty bad place." He shuddered just thinking about being a prisoner... how close he had come to being one. "I did reach out to my aunt though, my Mother's sister."

"Really? The one who married a Muggle-born?"

"Yep. She's going to be out of town for a few months, but when she gets back, she wants to have dinner. I think I shocked her, by reaching out. She seemed pretty surprised to hear from me."

"That's understandable. Did you ask to meet her, or did she put up the offer?"

"Well, I told her that I was sorry I had never gotten to know her, all the pleasantries, you know, and then I asked if she wasn't too put off by me, if she'd maybe like to send an owl back and correspond. Next thing I know, she's invited me to dinner when she gets back, and she even sent me a box of biscuits."

"Sounds promising."

"I hope so."

***

"Are you going to come to Platform 9 ¾?"

"Um, I don't know. I thought about it. I hate the thought of Hermione getting on the train alone but..."

"But all those people and all those memories, yeah I understand. And Hermione will too."

"Are you going to meet her at the Burrow in the morning?"

"Yeah. I told Robards I was going to be late by an hour or so. Are we still going to do dinner tonight?"

"Just the three of us?"

"Yeah. Still haven't talked to Ginny since her note?" Ron asked this quietly, his face red and Harry knew he was worried it was going to cause a rift between them. Harry shook his head and attempted a smile.

"She was upset with me for not going back to school and she wants to go into the year with her 'options open' as she said. I don't want you to get mad but I'm really not that upset. I think it'll be good. We stay busy enough as it is and if Robards is going to start giving us better jobs, I need to focus as much as I can on work."

"I understand. Maybe you'll meet someone when we're out working?"

"Searching for Dark Magic and things like that? Yeah, that's the kind of person I want to meet," he laughed, and Ron rolled his eyes and threw a balled-up piece of parchment at him.

Later that evening, he and Ron met Hermione at a small restaurant south of London. As soon as she saw them, she ran to them, throwing her arms around them both at the same time. Ron laughed as he held her at arm's length and Harry stepped back, smiling.

"'Mione, I just saw you this morning," Ron chuckled, but he pressed a kiss to her lips all the same.

"I know, but I'm going to miss you both so much." She grabbed Harry again and he held her tightly, knowing how much he was going to miss her.

"I hope you don't mind that I won't be there tomorrow morning."

"Of course not, Harry, I understand. But you have to promise me you'll write to me. And I mean really write," she chided with a knowing look. He grinned at her and nodded.

"So, do you know who all will be going back with you?" Ron asked as they slid into a booth.

"In our house it's myself, Neville, and Parvati. I'm not sure about Hufflepuff, but Luna told me Padma Patil and Michael Corner will be back as well." She shrugged and took a sip of her water. Harry thought about all of them, but he also thought of a few others.

"Any Slytherins returning?" Ron raised an eyebrow as well.

"I don't know. Professor McGonagall didn't mention anyone, and I didn't think to ask. I'd be surprised though if anyone showed back up. Especially-"

"Do you know what you'd like?" The waitress interrupted the thought and Harry grabbed up his menu. He wondered though about the Slytherins, one in particular. Robards had mentioned going through and clearing out Malfoy Manor but he hadn't mentioned anything about Draco Malfoy. All Harry knew was his parents were in Azkaban and he walked free.

"Harry?" He looked up and everyone's eyes were on him. He smiled and pushed those thoughts to the back of his head for now.