Chapter Twenty-One

"So, are we going today as 'us' or are we going today as just Draco and Harry, separate but friends?"

"Well, what would make you more comfortable?"

"Honestly? Staying in and laying out on the couch, kissing your neck, other things along that line," he whispered against Harry's neck. Harry laughed and tightened his arms around him.

"Draco, I know we haven't really told anyone, but I don't think it would be the worst thing. Besides, it's just our friends, most of which already know about us."

"You're right. So, we can go hand in hand then."

"Do you think all of our brains together can make a good plan?"

"I hope so. Where are we going to meet everyone?"

"The diner we went to on lunch that one day. Hermione likes it there and she and Ron are going to get us a big enough table."

"Okay. Um, so do you think everyone is going to be okay with me being there?"

"It'll be fine. But you're probably feeling the same hesitation I am. I doubt your friends like me. Goyle wasn't necessarily excited to see me that night."

"Greg doesn't really get excited about much, though," he laughed and Harry grinned. "It'll be fine, just like you said."

"I'll take your word for it then. Are you going to be ready to go soon?"

"I'm ready now." He snapped his bag shut, his case notes tucked carefully inside. "I am going to talk about the case, of course, but if I leave out a few things, just go along with it. Like Kingsley, I'd like to keep the information pool as small as possible so nothing gets out or away from us. The fewer people that know, the better. And honestly, you're really the only person in the world that I trust explicitly."

"Really?" Harry's eyes widened but then he blushed.

"Really." He shrugged his shoulder with a smirk and bopped Harry on the tip of the nose. He slung his bag over his shoulder and walked to the door. When he turned back, Harry was still standing by the kitchen counter, his face scrunched in an amused grin. "Come on. The weather's nice so if we leave now, we can have a pleasant walk."

He stepped out into the bright afternoon and hoped his long sleeve shirt wasn't going to be too warm. He did it mainly out of habit, always having dressed up for his parents, but now also to cover the scars that littered his skin. But the way Harry had looked at them, the way he had so gently caressed each one, he thought that maybe he shouldn't be afraid of people seeing them. They showed his life, his survival, his progress.

Harry stepped out behind him and shut the door, tapping the knob with his wand and then instinctively reached for his hand. When they were together, it was their thing, and when they were apart, his hand was left feeling cold, longing for Harry's touch.

He gripped his hand tight and they walked down the steps to the road. It was only two city blocks from the main street where the café was, so it wouldn't take them long.

"I like living in the city," he thought aloud.

"Do you?"

"I do. Malfoy Manor is set back a ways, no noise, no people, nothing to look at but the house, the grass, and the woods surrounding it. I feel like I've got plenty of scope for the imagination here. Plus it's nice to be able to just walk out the front door and find a restaurant nearby if I need one. Of course, I could have apparated or used the Floo, but I like this better. Do you not like the city?"

"It seems too loud to me. Your apartment is set off on a quiet street so you don't get all the noise pollution. I can hardly sleep some nights what with the car horns and the other, regular 'city-life' noises."