Eleven

Seven days had gone by in Alhaji Hussien's household and Layla woke up very anxious. This was because of the news she received that Hajiya was coming back in a day's time. She had recovered physically well. The bruises along her thighs were now  scarce which would always remind her of something she so want to forget. She was yet to be psychologically well with incessant night mares and depression.

She had finally figured she was far from being fine. As for Zayyad she hadn't seen or heard his name mentioned by anyone. She was relaxed living with malam Tani and the Driver because they were harmless and careful with her. She was living quite well until she gets to her room and maybe one thing  or one word remind her of the incident. It was evident the timid innocent Layla was gone giving birth to an unapologetic sadist and vindictive teenager.

Inna had called Malam Tani's number three days after her discharge from Hospital. If not she had mentioned Layla, Malam Tani wouldn't have known who she was looking for. He could barely read so he only recognize voices.

When Layla realized who was looking for her, she took the phone grudgingly remembering what happened to her was partly if not wholly her fault. A simple 'yes my daughter come back' would've saved her from that monster but no, she, the only person that was supposed to love her unconditionally gave her a deaf ear and couldn't understand her plea. She was only interested in the money they would get.

" Good morning Innah." She made herself to say trying not to sound arrogant.

" Layla how are you? " came Innah's voice loudly as though she was shouting.

" How am I? I'm alive and it's all that matters. If you call about the Salary, I think I've told you they've travelled so you'll have to wait till they come back." She ended the call fuming.

She wasn't even a bit sorry for lashing out. She had to for God sake if not she would run mad. She was in this mess because her mother chose to make her a slave. Tears were forming from her eyes when she remembered the hadith that mentioned mother three times before Father. A mother is compassionate, kind and caring unlike Innah.

She was their money making machine and she was determined to make the relationship as it was. Nothing more or less. Putting a halt to her unnumbered thoughts, she made to the kitchen and started peeling yam. She made boiled yam and egg sauce, served the driver and Malam Tani before she took her plate.

She sat on one of the sofa and started eating while watching a show. The Driver entered and picked the key hurriedly before going out. She was burning with the curiosity to ask where he was going. Has Hajiya arrived? Nothing could make him hasten if not that.

The thought of Hajiya coming back sent cold shiver down her spine. Hajiya is an observant person. She could sense when something is wrong like when she kept having recurrent fever and didn't talk. Hajiya sat her down and asked if there was anything bothering her. She was scared of Hajiya seeing through her eyes and knowing what happened. She felt ashamed of herself and a sense of guilt washed over her.

Layla couldn't point at it but the event of that night had changed her even if not physically, which she was positive it had. Those scars where physical of course. She closed her eyes as she remembered the pain that tore through her that night.

" Are they back already? " she asked her gaze soft on the driver. She wouldn't let her frantic mind give her away.

" I want to be there so there won't wait long. They should be here in about an hour."

She felt the dread settled on her like a weight. At this point, she wouldn't want to meet Hajiya's scrutinizing eyes that could make her tear up immediately. There was no where for her to go to. Zaria was not home anymore hell, it hadn't been home for as long as she could remember. It was just a house where Five people live that are connected by blood. A family would love you, care for you and protect you but she was far from that.

Handsome Devil  ✅ जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें