Twenty-Five

Silence stretched between them. The tension was so thick one could feel it. An eye contest of about a minute came between the two, daring and challenging. Each mind was having different thoughts.

Layla was literally rooted to the spot. She had mixed emotion warming up within her. She was numb for so long that seeing Zayyad was just a rubbing of her wound and unlike the last time she saw him, she felt an overwhelming feeling of hatred, vengeance and murder. If her hands could be strong enough to strangle someone to death, she would be happy to do just that yet she looked at him so daringly Zayyad felt thread of sweat on his forehead.

Layla watched him looked down to her bumpy stomach and what she saw on his face made her feel fulfilled. She had never felt that warmth in a while. For her to strike a look of fear on Zayyad the ruthless egocentric human, she knew she had came a long way and this, unfortunately for him, was just the beginning of a nightmare.

She felt so euphoric she actually smiled. A real smile. She couldn't remember when last a single thought or a sight of something did something to loosen her mood until Zayyad. More than anything, this made her realize how vengeful she had become and how an emotional wreck she was, but they say all is fair  in love and war, and hate too.

She was still rooted not knowing to go back home and not face the one conversation she had always wanted to have with him. While she  was here nursing his child in her womb, literally wasting away, he was enjoying his life.

Zayyad finally got the courage or  was it audacity to finally open the door while thanking Allah no one was close by in case she tried anything out of line. He stepped out.

They were up close and yet no one said a word, just another round of eye contest. She was fearless, daring and confident. He made the meek Layla gone and replaced her with this fearless woman. She was a woman. He had forcefully made a woman out of her and she felt like she had been through and seen a lot.

The eye battle finally broke and for the third time, while being the closest he could, few inches away from her, he looked at her stomach again.

" It is what you're thinking it is." She said her words cold as she looked him with disgust.

He promptly looked at her. Not even sure what to say to avoid creating a scene.

"Was it.... was.. it that night?" He was stammering, damn it!!

Layla couldn't believe what she heard. The audacity to ask that question was shocking enough she felt insulted, again.

" Are you seriously asking me that Zayyad!!???"

His name on her lips made him realize how ready she was for him and how he was no longer intimidating. Hell, if not for the eyes and lips and voice he could swear that wasn't the meek housemaid he met seven months ago.
Whatever he was seeing, was his own doing and he had no idea how messed up it was.

" You're really asking me if this isn't as a result of what you did? Did you even listen to yourself? Oh I know how shameless you people from city  are!!! Shameless!!! Selfish and heartless. I'll say this just once and I'm sure you hear me. This... whatever it is in here, is what you did!! It's yours!!!" She pointed at her stomach, now her emotional radar going down, she felt a warm mist in her eyes. Not now please!!!

He raised his both hands as though surrendering " Okay... you don't have to say mean and harsh words at me Layla. I know it's definitely what I did but why wasn't I informed?? I mean I'm suppose to know something as important as this." He lowered his voice stressing his words.

" I'm sorry and you're???" She said in a perfect English that caught him off guard. Where did she learn that?? This girl was full of surprises that keep shocking him.