v. My Mother and I

OCTOBER 1909

ERIK

"Erik, where's Gustave?"

I looked up from my architectural sketches when I heard Nadir's voice from behind me, blinking hard to bring my eyes into focus after working for an unbeknownst amount of time. I enjoyed working as an architect, but had clearly forgotten how time-consuming it was. Retirement was already appealing and I had barely been back to work for two years.

"He's downstairs doing homework," I replied as I started to sketch again.

"I was just down there, Erik," Nadir replied with a rather exasperated-sounding sigh.

"So you would know that he's down there. This seems like quite a pointless conversation, Daroga."

"My thoughts exactly. Why would I be up here actively seeking out a conversation with you if I knew he was downstairs?"

"Well, maybe because-" I stopped myself short when I realized that I was indeed the one in the wrong; Gustave had gone to William's house after school. I groaned quietly as I turned my chair around to face Nadir, who looked quite unimpressed with my parenting abilities. "What time is it?"

"It's eight o'clock. You have been sitting in that chair for hours now," Nadir said. "Can you even feel your backside anymore?"

"It's quite comfortable, actually. And yes, I can feel everything because the chair is so squishy..." I trailed off, confused at my own statement. "What just came out of my mouth?"

"I don't know but you're never going to be allowed to forget it."

I rolled my eyes hard; yet another thing for Nadir to tease me about. My supply of ammunition against him was dangerously low; that needed to be resolved somehow. "What time is it now?"

"I already told you, Erik. I really should limit how much time you spend up here. Get you to stop drawing houses and leave your own for a walk and some fresh air every now and then. It seems to be affecting your short-term memory quite substantially," Nadir retorted.

"I have a business to run and fat businessmen to impress; time limits are not allowed. What time was I supposed to pick him up?" I asked as I got to my feet and started to clear up my desk.

"Seven o'clock."

I froze and turned on my heel, my eyes wide as I realized how late I was. Punctuality was something I had always tried to have, but I had managed to mess it up royally.

"I have to go," I said as I grabbed my jacket off the back of my chair and slipped it on.

"Relax, they won't kill you for being late," Nadir pointed out. "They love having him over and the boys get along so well. William and Gustave certainly would not complain about getting to spend extra time together."

"Maddie just might kill me...hold on." I paused, frowning as I considered the statement that Nadir had made. "They?"

"She's married, remember?" Nadir asked. He smirked a little as I managed to prove my memory loss more and more with every word I said. "Just because we aren't married doesn't mean others aren't either."

I gave him a firm nod, trying to make it seem like I hadn't forgotten that Madeleine was married. "Yes, of course. Married. She has a husband that I have met and just forgot about at this moment. Now if you'll excuse me, I must be off," I quickly said as I raced down the stairs.

"You've never met her husband?!" Nadir cried after me. "Explain yourself!"

"Later! I have to pick up my child!" I managed to trip out the door, only to end up stepping on my shoelace and losing my shoe in the process.