xv. Hello, My Love

DECEMBER 1915 

My dearest, Gustave

I hope all has been well for you, or at least as good as it possibly can be during a time like this. I am anxious to hear as much about your position in the engineering division as possible; I'm sure it holds your interest to some extent given your interest in architecture and the training from your father. Tell me how you've been. I miss you terribly; not getting to walk down the hallways at school with your hand in mine is a strange feeling.

How is William? I hope you're keeping him out of trouble, but I hope he's keeping you in check as well. Let him know that Jane misses him very much and that she is hoping to hear from him soon. All she ever does is fidget with the promise ring that he gave to her. I caught her crying with it clutched in her hands more than once, so please tell him to try and write to her when he can.

Now that all of those formalities are out of the way, I can tell you what has been on my mind for days now; not having you here to talk to is painful. Mother is insisting upon taking me to every social event that happens amongst friends of her and Father. I know you are aware that I'm not one for massive parties, but that isn't even the worst part of this entire ordeal. While I don't mind a nice evening out with friends, what makes it so miserable is that she introduces me to every eligible young bachelor in the room, as if she expects me to just fall into their arms and forget you even exist! Of course, she is disappointed every time, as I simply have polite conversations with the young gentleman before I put an end to it. I would never want to be on the arm of any of them; all I want is to have you back with me, holding my hand.

I'm not sure what's gotten into her. I know she likes you and can see that I truly do love you; she would have to be blind to miss that. And yet she persists in her efforts! I mentioned it to Jane and she said it was a matter of status. That because you are not of noble birth, my personal social status - and hers by extension - will drop should we marry. I despise this social hierarchy and all that it dictates. We marry for power, but all I want to do is marry for love, to marry you. You know, though, that no matter what happens or what anyone says, I am going to love you now and until the end of time.

That aside, I do have a little plan to tell you about. Here, in your absence, I have set my mind to getting to know your father better. The pain in his eyes with you gone is something that I cannot bear to see, especially after seeing just how sweet he can be. I have seen him open up and enjoy his time with others. When we first got to meet each other and talk, I saw him truly break out of that shell that you've told me about. Now that you've left, though, he has almost completely closed himself off to everyone. I go over to try and visit with him, but I often end up only talking to Mister Khan or William's mother, should they happen to be there. I never get to talk to your father. I want to help him so desperately, but I've no idea where to even start. If you have any suggestions regarding how I can do that, do tell me. I want him to know that he isn't alone.

I love you more than I can ever put into words. Please write to me as soon as you can.

All my love,

Lara

~~~~~

JANUARY 1916

My dearest, Lara,

Hello, my love. Everything has been alright here, and as much as I know you're curious about what I'm doing here, I'm afraid I can't tell you. That's the procedure, so I do apologize. You are not alone in wondering, though, as my father asked me the same question. You are right to assume that my love of architecture and the training Papa has given me comes into play here in my division; it certainly helps keep me engaged.

William is doing fine as well. With regards to Jane, trust me; I have told him to write to her, but he's the slightest bit nervous about saying the wrong thing in his letter. He's written about four drafts of his first letter at this point but has dubbed all of them not good enough to send to her. I've read them all and think they're all lovely, but what do I know? Tell Jane to be patient - he's trying his best to be romantic, which we both know could mean that she might get this letter hand-delivered by the time he finishes it.

In regards to what you mentioned about your mother, I am truly sorry that you had to tell me through a letter. I am also sorry that you have to put up with that, but you don't have to worry at all. I am going to come home to you, no matter what it takes for me to ensure that happens. I know that your mother will never fully approve of me; my status is lower than your own, the circumstances of my parentage aren't ideal in her eyes. There are countless factors that contribute to her disapproval, and there is nothing that I can really do or say to change that, but the reason behind her disapproval is utterly archaic. Her personal view of me keeps her from seeing just how much I adore you. I trust that you would ignore the men your mother throws your way, you should know that. You, Lara, are what makes me wake up every morning; knowing that every day I am here means I am one day closer to going home and being with you. I wear your locket beneath my uniform so your image can stay close to my heart, just as you always will. Never forget that, love.

Now...Papa. I have heard that things have not been going well for him, to the point that he even tried to pull the wool over my eyes with regards to how much he's struggling. One thing that I've learned over the course of my time with him is that isolation is his best coping mechanism, so it might be difficult to pull him out of that mindset. He may not want anything to do with anyone at the present moment, including you, even with how much he likes you, so don't be offended if he shuts you out at first. One thing is for certain, though; when dealing with my father and his emotional strife, persistence is the only way in. It took me some time to learn that, but I have come to realize that there is only one way to deal with him in scenarios like this. He is going to try to shut you out, but you cannot let him do that successfully.

I know it sounds daunting, but he really is just a stubborn and broken man. Once you manage to get through to him, though, he lets you stay close because he recognizes just how much you care about him. He has put up countless walls over the course of his life to protect his fragile heart from the endless abuse and persecution that he has faced, but they keep out the love and affection simultaneously. He has been hurt so badly by so many people dear to him that he is constantly prepared to face that again, hence the isolation. If you can break through those walls, though, you are going to do a world of good for him. Uncle Nadir can only help so much; Papa needs your gentility and kindness.

I fully support this plan of yours. Keep me up to date with your progress. I'm worried about him and I want him to get the help and emotional support that he needs, and you are just the person who will be able to provide that.

I love you, Lara. I hope to be home holding you in my arms very soon. Give everyone a hug on my behalf.

Yours,

Gustave

~~~~~

updated: 11-16-20

word count - 1449 

letters part 2 :)