xiv. He's Lying, Isn't He?

AUGUST 1915

Gustave,

I hope all is going well for you. I appreciate the fact that you are worried about me but there is really no need. Everything is actually going quite smoothly in your absence. I have been getting a lot of work done recently and actually keeping to the deadlines I give. There is this one design that has been giving me trouble, but I should be alright to get it done on time; you know I manage to do that most of the time. Another thing you should be quite proud of me for is that I am becoming surprisingly comfortable with answering the phone and having proper conversations with clients. Don't be too surprised if you come home and I am able to run the company on both the social and physical end of things.

I am sure you do not only want to hear about the business though, so I'll change topics for your sake. I know you are probably wanting to hear about Madeleine, but there is not all that much to tell you. She is doing quite well with her pregnancy, which is all that we can ask for, really. She is worried about both of you, obviously, though, in all honesty, I think we should be more worried about Charles. Not only is he in absolute hysterics about having to get things ready for the baby, but Maddie is also going through mood swings and such. Needless to say, he is walking on broken glass around his wife. Actually, to clarify that, we all are. One can never truly know what will set her off; any little word or facial expression that we think means absolutely nothing either makes her cry or sends her into a fit of anger. You really should consider yourself lucky that you aren't here to see her like this, though we know it will all subside once the baby arrives. On that note, there is a little contest going on to see if the baby will be a girl or boy, so if you would care to participate, please tell me your guess. Personally, I think - and hope - that it will be a girl. Madeleine deserves another girl in the house to distract her from the disruptions known as the rest of us.

I haven't seen much of Lara lately but I believe she is doing well. She worries for your safety, as we all do. Even Sasha does, considering that she only knew you for a short while before you left. She has taken to sleeping in your room, so don't be too surprised to find small tufts of her fur scattered about when you get home. On top of that, it seems that she has claimed that bed for herself when she isn't sleeping in my room, so you will likely have to fight for the right to sleep there again.

Nadir has been coming over regularly, as usual. Between the two of us, I wonder if he even knows what his own home looks like anymore. He has attempted to help wherever possible with work, though I haven't much need for it. Though from what I hear, his own little security business has been doing well. I don't see how, considering that he doesn't leave my house, but I am happy for him regardless.

I am curious to know everything about what they are having you do. I know you were sent off to work on their engineering projects, but they never specified what exactly you were to be making. Don't spare a single detail. I do hope that you and William have been keeping each other entertained and out of trouble. Please tell him that I miss him as well and I look forward to a rematch of our chess game when he gets back.

I love you more than anything, my boy. I cannot wait for you to come home.

- Your Father

~~~~~

SEPTEMBER 1915

Hello Uncle,

I hope you are doing well. I heard your business has been a great success while I've been away and I am very happy for you. Things are going alright here; they tend to keep us rather busy working on the project at hand. I am truly sorry, but I am not allowed to tell anyone what I am doing here, not even family. I really would like to tell you all, as I think you'd all find it quite interesting, but I am bound to protocol. William is also doing well; it seems that the army was the only way for him to start giving into authority. They put him in his place rather quickly in that respect.