Who are you? -1

This prompt was suggested by a wonderful reader of mind @Kawaiisakura1993 and backed up by @Galaxyjad and I believe it's their group effort  :p  Sneaky people.   I hope this story does justice to your idea.

Summary: Lan Wangji gets into a fatal accident while protecting someone. This ends up being the wake-up call for Wei Ying on how important this could be to him. 

Timeline: This takes place in the original universe when all the clans have gathered for the annual meet and Wei Wuxian shoots an arrow blindfolded. This is also around the time when Lan Wangji kisses him when he's blindfolded.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Wei Wuxian was a little worried.

The clans did not take well to him showing off his skills in archery. People already spoke in hushed whispers behind his back and this stunt of his did not help.

What angered him more was the idiot that was throwing around marriage proposals to his Shije. He was doing this in front of all the clans. Which meant there were at least 50 different witnesses to his declarations of love to his sister. This could actually make the elders putting pressure on his sister to accept the proposal as a political marriage.

Hard truth was, the marriage could end up being advantageous for the Yunmeng Jiang clan which was still recovering from closing their clan leaders and also from the 'tarnished image' that Wei Ying brought. 

But he refused his sister to mend the damages made by everyone else. If there was one person who had no blame on them, it was his Shije. He refused to sit by and watch his Yanli be used a pawn in their political games. 

Unless Jiang Yanli herself chose a man to be her forever partner, no one can force this on her. 

But he highly doubted that his sister would have such low standards for a man. She wouldn't. Would she?

What if she did?

That almost gave Wei Ying anxiety and he refused to let his mind wander there. But his mind often wandered to the mind-numbing kiss he received earlier that day. His heart refused to settle down the whole evening. 

That worst thing was that he had no way of knowing who she was. 

He was wandering the campsite when he managed to spot Lan Wangji in the distance, by the fire. 

He looked forlorn. Sad even. Not that it diminished his beauty in any way. The campfire only accentuated his facial features adding dept to his facial bones, making him look like a true marble statue. If it was not for his occasional blinking, one would assume it was some artist's work.

The man was beautiful, He was also the second prince of the Lan clan, which made Wei Wuxian wonder how many marriage proposals he had received by now. The thought seemed to leave a sour taste in his mouth for some reason. 

The man was seated on a dark log of wood with his back hunched. That is how Wei Ying could tell that the man was troubled. 

Lan's never slouch.

He almost wanted to laugh when his mind added Lan Qiren's voice to that sentence. 

The dancing flames were reflected in his golden irises making them look like molten gold. Long lashes outlined those pools of gold. 

What would they look like speckled with snow? Would they look more silver than golden? Would they shine? 

A raven's call from a distance broke Wei Ying out of his reverie. He shook his head before walking over to the Lan deep in thought. 

"Deep in thoughts I see."

Lan Wangji looked up at him and for a minute his eyes seem to widen. But it was very subtle to tell. For a long minute, the other man just stared at Wei Ying, without saying a word. 

Wei Ying slightly raised his eyebrows to enquire what he was looking at. Lan Zhan opened his lips to say something and suddenly closed them. 

"Oh so now you refuse to talk to me second master Lan?" Wei Ying had a smug smile on his face but the heart fell at that thought. 

Lan Zhan turned away from him towards the fire once again without saying anything. "You should rest."

"So you do have a voice after all!"

Wei Ying pushed his robes to the side and sat beside the other man. Lan Wangji's face showed surprise at that gesture before subtly moving to make room for Wei Ying. 

A smile lit up Wei Ying's face. 

"Lan Zhan?"

"Hm?"

"Have you ever slept under the stars? I assume you are a creature of habit and cannot sleep at new places?"

"Hm"

"I shall assume that as a yes." "You should try though. It is a wonderful experience."

"Maybe."

"You should at least trust me on this."

"I trust you." He stated as a fact. He said that like Wei Ying was already supposed to be aware of that. That it was a universally known statement that Lan Wangji of the Gusu Lan sect trusted Wei Wuxian without question. It just seemed to slip out as an unconscious phrase.

To Wei Ying... This moment was worth remembering. 

To witness Lan Zhan in his most honest state. In a world filled with lies and betrayals, he was a man worth worshipping. Honest and true. And to have his trust... It meant everything to Wei Ying. 

 "I trust you too Lan Zhan." He said in a low voice.

The other man turned around at that statement and locked eyes with Wei Ying. He studied Wei Ying's eyes for any hints of humor and found nothing. He lifted his fingers to the other man's face before abruptly dropping them. 

"Lan Zhan?"

Lan Wangji refused to look at him. He threaded his fingers together and clenched them hard to punish them for having thoughts of their own. His eyes hovered everywhere but the man seated next to him. 

"You should rest."

"So should you Lan Zhan. Remember we are displaying our skills tomorrow, we need to be well-rested."

He squeezed his shoulders and got up. "I should go scout the place, make sure it's safe. I can't sleep the nights anyway. Goodnight"

As he walked away he did not realize that a pair of longing golden eyes were strained on his retreating form. 

------------------------- To be continued-------------------------------------