Rabbit love -1

Author's notes: 

So I was going through my inbox and older requests from readers. One particular prompt caught my eyes and I thought it was freaking cute. So here you go @cire1493 ---I hope you enjoy this prompt. And thank you for the lovely suggestion :)

-------------------------------------------------------

It was a beautiful sunlight morning in cloud recess and he had been immersed in deep meditation for 3 days. The stonelike form was perched atop the stone tablet and the only movement that could be seen was the chest; that expended while inhaling. The boy peeked inside, looking at the man seated at the stone table, facing the sun. 

The glowing sun was in front of the man's face and scattered its radiance over his eyelashes. His clothes were unruffled and his hair was undisturbed. The opalescent glow cast a vertical halo on the marble man where he shone in silence. The soft summer wind blowing inside the hall echoed from the wall causing a low howl. It sounded eerie at night and caused ruffles to be formed in his forehead ribbon. With his back straight and his palms folded upon each other, he sat there unmoving for 3 days. 

Ethereal. 

Almost divine. 

He had been forbidden by teacher Qiren to enter the north wing hall. He had told him very sternly that Hanguang Jun's meditation was not to be interrupted for his childish games. He did not understand what teacher Qiren had meant by childish games but he had always thought that their games were fun. 

Forbidden to talk to the man he called father, the little boy started getting antsy as each day passed. He longed to talk to his father and eat his cooking. He wanted to listen to the man's voice to read him stories and teach him music. He missed his father.

He had promised teacher Qiren that he would behave himself and be a proper Lan, so he sneaked to the prayer halls every morning at the crack of dawn to see father. Even though the man did not know that he was there, he found comfort in only being in Hanguang Jun's presence. He did not know how one could feel comfort in just someone's mere presence but he did not question it.

He almost jumped out of his skin when he felt the tap on his shoulder.

The man put a finger on his mouth and shushed him. 

"First master Lan?"

"What are you doing here Lan Yuan?" The man inquired in a low tone. "Are you trying to talk to Lan Zhan?"

"No master Lan!! Please don't tell teacher Qiren!" His eyes widened and cheeks became red. His hair was in disarray as he forgot to tie it up properly. He looked adorable in with his fluffed up cheeks and big pouty lips. Lan Xichen resisted the urge to pinch the kid. 

One of the rules of the Lan clan was to talk to children as you would talk to an adult. Show them the same kind of consideration and respect. Discipline them like a child but respect them as an adult. Which is why Lans were always one of the finest gentlemen and women. They had more grace and discipline than all the clans put together. 

Lan Xichen sometimes wondered if this rule in particular restricted children from being... children. He wondered if that is why Lan Zhan was never a child. He had never behaved like a child even at the tender age of 8. He looked at Lan Yuan and his heart seems to melt at that adorable little boy who had seen war and loss way too early in life.

He placed a gentle palm on his tiny head and chuckled. "Haha... I'm only joking child. Come. Let us get you some herbal tea and let him meditate in peace."

Lan Yuan hesitated... "You promise you won't tell teacher Qiren?"

"I promise on my name as a Lan."

The child dropped a beautiful, toothy grin at that statement and happily linked their fingers together before walking forward. 

Lan Xichen never understood Lan Wangji's decisions since the day he had met Wei Ying. But looking at Lan Yuan he could see Wei Ying reflected perfectly in that boy. 

Both ripped away from their families very young. Both had lost love and a home. Both were on the wrong side of the world which eventually caused their downfall. The only difference was... Lan Yuan still had time. Plenty of time.

And his heart ached every time he looked at this child's innocent laughter. It made him think if Wei Ying was the same child at some point before the world influenced him in so many ways. He wondered if Lan Zhan saw the same in Wei Ying, what he saw in Lan Yuan.

Lan Xichen unwillingly felt a sense of care and protectiveness towards Lan Yuan and he slowly began understanding why his brother protected Wei Ying the way he did. 

Love was powerful. Love was destructive.

Love was an all-consuming emotion. It is why they lost their mother and it is why he almost lost his brother. Hence he had promised himself to never fall in love with another being and to remain a celibate man to serve to protect his people. Be it romantic or platonic. Love itself was a difficult emotion to control. 

But walking with this small child who held his fingers in his delicate small hands. He was beginning to thaw. 

He sighed to himself before walking away.

------------------------------------------

Placing two steaming cups of tea on the table he smiled at Lan Yuan. "Careful! It is hot."

Lan Yuan gently took the cup in both his palms and blew on it almost dramatically. 

"Gently. or you will blow away the tea as well" Lan Xichen laughed at that. "Lan Yuan?"

"Yes First master Lan?''

"Do you miss Lan Zhan?"

"Yes... I do Master Lan."

"Why do you always go to visit Hanguang Jun even though you know he won't talk to you or give you company?"

"Well... I don't know....."

He waited for the boy to continue. He could see the child's mind working to find an answer to that. If Lan Xichen could, he would spend a lot of time with children. He found that children have a very fascinating and pure mind that they always have a simple solution to complicated problems. But being the head of the Lan clan came with its own share of responsibilities and it restricted his personal time. Sometimes he wished that he could spend more time with his distant brother as well.

"I feel good when I'm with Hanguang Jun even though he will not talk to me. He makes me feel happy! He is like rabbits?"

"I beg your pardon??" Lan Xichen thought.. 'What.... rabbits?'

"Yes Yes Master Lan!! I looooove rabbits! I feel happy when I look at them and watch them play even though they don't like me and run away always!"

Lan Xichen blinked once.
Then twice.
Then burst out laughing! 

"Oh lord in the heavens!! Hahahaha!"

"Is that bad?"

"Of course not! I think it is good. I think you should tell this to Hanguang Jun once he finishes his meditation. He would very much like to hear it."

"Really????!"

His eyes became impossibly big while asking that question and almost twinkled.

"Of course!"

"Okay!!"

He watched Lan Yuan enthusiastically pick up his, now warm cup of tea and drink it. He was so happy that he did not realise that he was spilling it everywhere. Lan Xichen put a clothe on the table to absorb the spilt tea and chose to stay quiet. 

---------------------To be continued....................................