Chapter Three: A Crack in the Glass

Paranoia's P.O.V

It had been a month or so since my creation and nothing was getting better. Deceit still ordered me around and was enraged by any little mistakes. Remus was still deranged and somewhat frightening, always suggesting things that would send me into a panic of 'what if's that spilled from my mouth and seemed to irritate him. I was doing all of the housework - mostly because I was told to, but also partially because it was a desperate attempt to please the other two.

The 'what if's were more persistent and I often times found myself spitting them out when something unnerving was suggested, which neither of the other two seemed happy about. It was just hard to keep my thoughts in.

I hadn't been allowed outside since the day in the rain and - even though there appeared to be another Dark Side - I hadn't seen another trait. I heard mutterings under breaths when they thought I couldn't hear them - they spoke frequently of a group called the "Disorders". I didn't know much, but if they were bad enough to earn the suspicion of Deceit and Remus, they must've been bad.

"Paranoia!"

I jumped and hurried down the stairs, where the other two were waiting. Deceit's foot was tapping the ground impatiently. "It's time we show you the control room, where we influence Thomas's decisions."

"That's fancy-talk for 'room where we fuck shit up'!" Remus cheered, twirling around Deceit.

Not even bothering to scold the man, Deceit started down the corridors that I had been banned from going through with permission and/or supervision. It was several confusing turns before we entered a large room, one wall covered with screens and a large control panel, laid out like a desk.

I could hear voices coming through the speakers - presumably Thomas's.

"What am I supposed to do? I don't want to tell her I forgot and scheduled something else - she'll think I don't care!"

Deceit chuckled darkly. "Ah, perfect. This isn't a fantastic opportunity for me to take advantage of." He moved to the panels and pressed a few buttons before speaking again in a lower tone. "Just lie, Thomas. . . Tell her something came up. She'll never know the difference and everyone wins~!"

"Nice one, Dee!" Remus chirped.

"W-Wait!" The thoughts were back and I was filled with the instinct to protect Thomas, tripping over my feet as I tried to approach. My hands landed on the control panel, probably pushing something wrong, but I ignored it. "What if she finds out? What if she thinks he hates her? What if she doesn't want to be friends anymore?! She- She could tell everyone that he's a bad friend and Thomas will be alone until he dies!"

A gasp came from the speakers. "Oh my gosh, I have to tell her the truth! I wouldn't want her to think I don't like her if she finds out. . . I'm sure she'll understand!"

I withdrew from the control panel, slightly shocked that my panic was acknowledged and actually contributed to Thomas's decision. I almost missed the strange look Deceit was giving me.

Almost.

I curled in on myself slightly under his stare, fidgeting anxiously. He was silent for a long minute, as was Remus. I hated when Remus was silent. Sure, he was loud and obnoxious and borderline scary, but his silence never led to anything good.

"You. . . undermined my suggestion faster than that. . . pathetic Morality could," Deceit's voice was flat and empty. Surprised? "Do you have any idea what you've done?"

Remus moved to Deceit's side, his face twisted into a scowl I had never seen before. I winced. "I, uh, I - I was just nervous. . . If Thomas lied and she found out, she could've gotten mad at him and maybe stopped being friends with him. . . I got scared."

"I did not tell you to touch the panel," Deceit hissed.

"Yeah- Uh, no. No, you didn't. I know that." I paused. "Sorry."

Remus tilted his head, completely ignored the crack his neck made. "I thought we agreed that you weren't going to be a Debby Downer."

I shifted, figuring it wasn't the best time to point out that we never actually agreed to that. "R-Right. Sorry. I won't touch it again."

Deceit exchanged a look with Remus that I didn't recognize nor trust. "Paranoia, go to your room. Remus and I will watch the controls and. . . talk."

I nodded and hurried off, locking my door behind me once I made it to my room. I had caused enough damage. God, why was I so stupid?

'What if they're planning to get rid of me? What if I messed up the controls and now something horrible will happen to Thomas?'

I forced my face deeper into my pillow, trying to muffle the thoughts that I knew wouldn't leave. I only hoped that I hadn't messed up too badly, and the other two would go easy on me.

~~~

"I know how hard packing is, don't worry!" Thomas laughed, holding the phone to his ear. "I'll definitely be there to help. Tomorrow at three. Okay, bye!" He hung up and sighed, content.

Content, until three familiar figure sprung up in front of him, not looking particularly pleased.

Morality frowned. "Thomas, you didn't forget that you promised to go to the movies with Valerie tomorrow, did you?"

"Oh. . ." Thomas's eyes widened. "Oh, shoot."

"I don't know how many times I have to tell you; you require a calendar, Thomas," Logic reminded, exasperated.

Prince groaned. "Well, what are we to do now? Both events are important! Helping Terrence pack for his flight on Monday is noble, but we promised our night to Valerie first!"

A thought seemed to cross Thomas's mind. "Maybe I could. . . stretch the truth a bit? If Valerie thinks I had a better reason to cancel. . ."

"Thomas!" Morality gasped. He was ready to chew Thomas out with his well-practiced 'lying is bad' speech, but something flashed in Thomas's eyes.

"Oh my gosh, I have to tell her the truth! I wouldn't want her to think I don't like her if she finds out. . . I'm sure she'll understand!" The host shook his head. "I can't lie to her!" He grabbed his phone, punching in Valerie's number. "Thanks, guys."

They sunk down, reappearing back in the Mindscape.

"Wow, Morality." Prince grinned. "Your 'don't lie' speech worked without you even having to say it aloud!"

Morality shook his head, confused, but not upset. "Wasn't my speech! Maybe Thomas is just a really honest kid!"

"A pleasant thought, Morality, but unlikely that that is was the cause of his reaction." Logic pushed up his glasses. "I assume we are all aware of who put the idea to lie in Thomas's head?" He waited for their confirmation before continuing. "It is likely that there was another trait at work that countered Deceit and convinced Thomas to tell the truth."

Prince puffed out his chest, unconcerned. "Well, then all is well!" He bid his farewells and left, not sparing a second thought to the mystery trait who had stopped the lie.

Morality smiled at Logic, patting his shoulder. "As long as Thomas tells the truth, I'm happy." He followed Prince's path out, leaving a befuddled Logic in the commons.

"But who made him tell the truth?"