Chapter Seven: Pleasing A Storm

Paranoia spent who knows how long waiting near the front of the cage, able to see the door faintly, but hidden by the smoke from anyone on the other side. He had given the Disorders the slip after their little 'session' - his body still twitching with the voltage of the lingering effects - and he was starting to lose hope as time trickled by without a trace of the trait he was now sure had been Logic.

'I guess they were right. . .'

A soft sigh pushed past his raw throat. The voices in his head berated him and he tried to painstakingly untangle his anxious thoughts from Schizophrenia's voices that had dug their claws into his psyche.

His was snapped forcefully from his own turmoil by a flash in his peripherals. He blinked, surprised, watching the door swing open and Logic walk in, his eyes searching the barrier - presumably for Paranoia.

"Paranoia?" Logic called quietly, and Paranoia appreciated that the Light Trait didn't speak too loudly, lest someone else be listening.

Slowly, he moved forward, feeling a bit of apprehension release seeing the relief in Logic's eyes. "Hey. You. . . came back."

"Of course I did." Logic looked confused, like the notion of him not returning was baffling. "I said I would, did I not? In fact, if I recall, I promised. And I never go back on my word."

Paranoia shrugged, picking absentmindedly at the sleeve of his worn hoodie. "I guess, yeah." He twitched slightly, feeling a jolt from Psychosis's lingering aura down his spine. For a moment, Logic's image flickered, but Paranoia pushed it down. "So. . . what's- what's that?" He nodded at the file in Logic's hand.

Logic seemed to regain his focus and he approached the barrier, holding the file up and opening it, his gaze landing on the papers inside. "This is the paperwork that's going to get you out - not just of this cage, but out of the Darkscape. For good."

"How is that p-possible?" Paranoia stuttered. That didn't sound possible. It sounded too good to be true, which meant it usually was. Was this a trick?

Logic took a deep breath and met Paranoia's gaze, the look in the Light Trait's eyes all-but diminishing any thought of it being some sick joke. "These papers will make you an official Main Trait and have you moved up to the Mindscape."

Paranoia's heart pounded for so many different reasons. "I - I don't understand." He placed his hands on the barrier, needing something solid to reassure him he wasn't dreaming or experiencing another hallucination. He didn't think he'd be able to take it. "A. . . Main Trait? But I'm just Paranoia!"

Logic flipped through his papers. "Not anymore. I pulled a few strings from the conscious and managed to generalize your aspect instead of having a new trait form." He held up a page. "You are now Anxiety."

". . . that's not a good thing, is it?" Paranoia's face fell. His only way out was becoming another bad thing? 

Logic sighed. "Because of your former aspect being so high-strung, you'll be. . . stronger than necessary. But it's very important."

"I don't wanna hurt Thomas."

"You're not," Logic silenced the worry. "You're protecting him. He needs you, Anxiety."

Paranoia looked up and blinked, stunned. No one had ever told him that. He had only ever heard the opposite. Something warm built in his chest and, slowly, his lips curled into a small, yet hopeful smile. ". . . really?"

"They might not understand at first, but they will. I'll help you," Logic assured, nothing but sincerity in both his eyes and voice. "So will Patton. I promise. And, as I told you, I never go back on my word."