Chapter Eight: This Will Either Be Very Good Or Very Bad

Para- Anxiety shuffled along Logic's side, twisting his hands together nervously. The elder trait noticed and stopped walking, turning to face the former Dark Trait. "Anxiety?"

"What if they don't like me?" Anxiety blurted out. "What if I'm actually bad at my job? Wh-What if the others come for me?! What - "

Logic placed a careful hand on the younger's shoulder, his neutral expression remaining in place as their eyes met. "I assure you, Anxiety, it's going to be okay." He tried not to flinch at the way Anxiety trembled under his touch.

"I - I really want to believe you. . ." Anxiety whimpered.

Logic closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. After a moment, he checked his surroundings before turning Anxiety to face him, letting his impassive expression shift to a more sincere one. "Virgil, I promise that I will be there for any altercations that may come. I cannot and will not make false promises. I do not know how the others will react and I am unsure if the Dark Traits will return. But I will be there."

". . . thank you, Logan," Anxiety whispered. "Um. . . when we get back. . . can you do most of the talking? A-And don't mention the. . . the cage thing. . ."

"Of course, Virgil."

The younger shifted, giving a small smile. The logical facet returned it before returning to his former impassive state, the two starting their trek back.

~~~

"You did what?!" Prince shrieked dramatically, flailing his arms around. "You can't just invite new traits without telling us first! That's not how it works!"

Anxiety shifted further behind the corner where he was hiding while Logic explained the situation, shoulders hunching inwards. He guessed that the loud man was Prince, from what Logic had told him. Prince. Remus's brother.

"Now, Roman," Morality scolded, "Logan doesn't make spontaneous decisions for no reason. Let's hear him out." He smiled at his counterpart. "Alright-y, Logan. Go ahead."

Anxiety decided that he might like the moral character.

Logic cleared his throat. "Thank you, Patton. As I was saying, I made the executive decision to bring in a new Main Trait. Thomas has been increasingly and worryingly careless as of late and I went on the search for a solution."

"You wanted to make him frightened?!" Prince exclaimed in disbelief. "Did you consider that perhaps Thomas was just brave? Do not hinder my adventurous spirit!"

Logic shot him a glare. "There is a difference between 'adventurous' and 'reckless', Roman." He pushed up his glasses. "Anyways, after finding no answers here, I ventured to the Darkscape - " he ignored the visible wince from Morality and Prince's horrified face, " - and I believe I found our solution." He neglected to mention the cage of disorders, per Anxiety's wishes. "Anxiety?"

"Um. . ." Anxiety slowly revealed himself, making sure to keep himself slightly behind Logic. "Hi. . ?"

For a moment, no one reacted. Then Prince opened his mouth, only to be cut off by a grinning Morality. "Ah! I'm so happy to have another trait here!" He quickly moved forward, but slowed once he realized Anxiety looked scared. "Is it- Is it okay if I hug you?"

"Patton. . ." Logic warned.

Anxiety hesitantly nodded, gratefully for the elder trait respecting boundaries enough to ask. Morality squealed and pulled him into a tight embrace - just loose enough for Anxiety to know he could pull away at any time. The darker persona's arms hung pitifully by his side and he was stiff. He had never been hugged before. It was. . . nice?