Chapter Five: Three's A Crowd, But Four's A Cult

Paranoia must've sat there for an hour, shaking and wailing, holding desperately to the foolish hope that the other would come back and release him. That hope was quickly slipping through his fingers as time passed, his hands beating tiredly against the glass as the onyx smoke rolled around him lazily - almost tauntingly. "Please! Please, let me out! I won't do it again!"

'What if's screamed inside his head, but he tried to force them down. If he was good, they would let him out. They had too! He wouldn't hurt Thomas- He never wanted to hurt Thomas!

"Please!" He begged. "I'll be good, I'll be good!"

"It won't help," A solemn voice burrowed itself into Paranoia's head. "We deserve this. We're never getting out. It's not worth it anyways."

Paranoia looked around, shivering at the sudden emptiness that dragged at him. "Who- Who's there?"

A figure not unfamiliar seemed to appear from the smoke. Like all other traits, he resembled Thomas, but like someone who had long been thrown to the horrors of his own sorrow. He was pale and gaunt, sunken skin and pools of sadness for eyes. Black sweats hung from his frame and every fiber in Paranoia's being screamed that this specific trait was not right.

"Who are you?" He whispered, scooting back slightly until his back pressed against the wall.

The stranger trudged towards him like a lost man who had given up. "A prisoner. A disorder. Just like you." He stopped a few feet away. "My name is Depression."

Paranoia's eyes widened. "N-No. . . No, I'm not a disorder! I want to protect, Thomas! I don't belong here!" Was this what Remus and Deceit had been talking about that day? That day seemed so long ago. . .

"You. . ." Depression took a deep breath through his nose and his half-closed eyes snapped open, but not in surprise. They weren't dead like Paranoia expected. They looked hungry. "Paranoia. . . You feel. More than just your aspect." He crept closer and licked his dry lips. "I can sense your sadness."

Paranoia scooted away from the approaching side, sliding along the glass until he found himself trapped in a corner. "G-Get away from me. . ." His alarm bells had been right that time. And they were still kicking. "Stay back! D-Deceit! Remus! Please!"

"They won't help you anymore." Depression cornered Paranoia, towering over him, and reached out his hands. The second his gaunt fingers made contact, Paranoia nearly collapsed. He felt heavy and empty and submissive. It was as if Depression was forcing him into the ground without applying the slightest bit of pressure.

Tears built in Paranoia's eyes - whether from Depression or the situation, he didn't know - and he choked on a sob, sinking to his knees. He hated what he was feeling, he hated what was happening, he hated everything, he hated himself -

"Depression!" A very Remus-like, hoarse and cracking, voice cheered, person appearing at the taller figure's side. "Whatcha got here?"

Depression withdrew, much to Paranoia's relieve and he gasped for air as the disorder addressed his friend. "This is Paranoia, Psychosis. He possesses the ability to feel our aspects."

A terrifying laugh tore out of Psychosis's throat, his eyes dilated and lit up in a way that just screamed 'delusion'. "Possess! That's funny!" His lips screwed up into a demented grin and god, Paranoia, would've taken any of Remus's frightening behaviors over that. "God, I'm starving!"

"You take care of our new little friend," Depression chuckled hollowly. "I'll go fetch Schizophrenia. Be gentle, will you?" And then he vanished into the rolling smoke, leaving Paranoia with the psychotic aspect.