The vow

Mayuko was dreaming about her life which had existed not so long ago. She was dreaming about her aunt who was looking after her. She could hear the voice of her little cousin holding on to a teddy bear. And then...they started burning and the dream became a nightmare. It didn't take her long to open her eyes afterwards.

When she opened them, she could see a bright hospital light shining above her. At first, she thought that she might be dead. She was actually hoping for it. But, she wasn't so fortunate. She soon realised that it wasn't the afterlife she was expecting it to be. Because, she could soon feel the excruciating pain through her whole body. She tried to get up but failed.

After a while, a girl who seemed like a Japanese like her, appeared before her. Her hair was deep black while her face was as pale as a white snake. She had a glare in her eyes which Mayuko was not able to make out at first. They looked ominous in some way but she didn't understand which emotion they represented.

However, the girl came near her bed.

"Greetings!" She said, "My name is Yonaka Ishigami. I'm the head of this facility. Nice to meet you." She put up a ferocious smile on her face.

Mayuko didn't reply her. She wasn't convinced by her greetings at the least. After experiencing such unfortunate events, how could she?

"What do you want from me?" She asked though being rude.

"Aww! That's not very nice. You should thank the one who has saved you."

Just when she had finished saying that, she rushed to Mayuko real quick and stabbed her left hand with the wooden sword she was carrying with her.

It was after she had seen Yonaka up close that she started to feel an unbearable pain. She was so shocked that she couldn't even scream. She just stared at her and gritted her teeth. Yonaka came uncomfortably closer and whispered.

"That won't do, little Mayuko. From now on, you answer to me and me only. I am your master from today forth and until the day you die. You'll abide by every order I give you. If you fail to do so, well, you know best about what may be done to you then."

Saying that, she finally pulled out her sword harshly and backed down. Her bed got red blooded.

"Medic!" Yonaka called out.

And soon, a few men and women wearing masks and dressed in all white rushed to the spot and worked on stopping her bleeding right away. They sealed her wound and also, used pain killers on her. Mayuko couldn't keep her eyes open after that. Helplessly, she passed out yet again.

She was in bed for one whole week after that. When she woke up, she was escorted by a peculiar blond girl who would keep on smiling way more than enough. Though, that peculiar girl did not forget to introduce herself to Mayuko at their first meeting.

"Good morning, Mayuko. My name's Laughter. Nice to meet you!" She said.

"..."

Mayuko did not answer but kept on staring at her. She was not expecting such a warm greetings from such a dark place. But, of course...she soon learnt not to judge a book by its cover.

"From today on, you'll be my newest partner. So, let's work hard together!" Laughter babbled on while putting on her irksome smiling face.

Mayuko was given new clothes. She did put them on given that she barely had any clothes on her at that time. Laughter then showed her around the building and babbled on about the organization.

The building which she was being kept in appeared to be of one of the branches of the notorious 'Red Fang' criminal organization. After realizing that, Mayuko was almost sure of the horrible crimes she was about to commit. Because, she knew about many of the bad reputations of the organization. Well, there was no one left in the world who did not know at that time of global crisis, anyways.