Laughter and Joker

Laughter had no memory about what happened before she was taken to the organization. She was trained to kill ever since she had been taken in and so, it was the only thing she knew. However, she wanted to make friends despite everything. She would explore the building during her free time to took for such individuals. But, she couldn't make friends that easily because of her creepy smile.

One day, she came across a laboratory. There was no guard or worker or trainer nearby. All she saw was a grayish long wall, with small black windows. She was sure that there was no door visible. Then, suddenly, a door magically appeared before her and a very skinny boy, a bit taller than her, came out from it. He looked injured as he was covered with bandages.

Laughter hurried to him, held his hands gently, and asked him if he was alright. Joker was astonished. He still seemed gloomy. He had the face of an innocent boy. That innocent figure started at the unknown fairy standing before him. But, that moment didn't last for long as some doctors came out soon afterwards and took him away. Was it pity? What did the fairy find in that boy so similar? Or, was it just a bit more romantic?

"Will I see you again?!" She shouted as  Joker was being taken away.

He looked back. His cheeks had reddened. He didn't answer.

It wasn't long after that they met again. They became training buddies. They would work hard and increase each other's strength and so, they got to know each other more. Laughter had always seen Joker as her precious friend. On the contrary, to Joker, perhaps she had been a bit more than 'just friends'. As years went by, both of them steadily grew. Joker got almost 1.5 times taller than Laughter. His overgrowth and his developed rude and cruel behavior made him look more and more like a monster. But, in her eyes, he was always a friend. And, to him, she became someone he would never be rude to, no matter how creepy her smile was.

Laughter stared at him as he asked her that question. She felt that it would be alright if she talked to him about Mayuko.

"Why do you think Mayuko's behaving so aggressively?"

"Who knows? Maybe her rebellious phase?" Said Joker as if it were a mere joke.

"Do you think we should've done something?" Laughter looked at him with desperate eyes. He read the environment finally and, realized that he had to give her a serious answer as well.

"No, we couldn't have done anything. Killing is the only way to live in this organization. And, we taught Mayuko to do the same. But, she violated the rule. And, if we did anything to help her, we would meet the same fate as she will."

Laughter knew exactly what he meant by 'fate'. So, she couldn't say anything more as further discussion seemed pointless. I mean... If Yonaka had already made plans for Mayuko, no one could stop her.

After that, a short moment of awkward silence took command in that room. Joker sat next to her on her bed.

"I know you might not be convinced as I'm the one who's saying this..." Finally breaking the silence, he continued, "But, it'll be o-okay." Perhaps it was his first time saying something like that to anyone. So, he had a bit trouble uttering it. Laughter's mouth was wide open. She wasn't sure what to say... But, it was as if all her worries had gotten erased that moment. She chuckled out of relief.

Seeing her, he got embarrassed. His face turned bright red the same way as 13 years ago. He quickly got up.

"Anyways!" He said rushing,"Don't think about it so much and just follow orders." And he abruptly left.

She felt this uneventful pounding around her chest. However, it soon disappeared when she remembered what could eventually happen to her new mate.

So, with a refreshed mind, she began to think again... about what she wanted to do.