Journey towards unknown

After Mayuko's parents had gone missing, they were presumed dead and Mayuko started to live with her aunt. She was 7 years old then. Her younger cousin, Chino, was only 2. Mayuko loved her with all her heart. She would always stay beside her and keep watch.

But, one day, when she was helping her aunt doing the laundry, she wasn't able to keep watch of Chino. So, incidentally, she went missing. When none of them could find her, Mayuko relentlessly searched for her and found her hanging on to a branch of a tree which had grown from the edge of the cliff in their village. At that time, she knew that the baby girl wouldn't be able to stay there for long. So, though she hardly knew how to climb up a tree properly, she took the risk and started to climb up. She knew that she didn't have time to call for help. Chino's mother was there and noticed her heroic efforts. And, with some difficulties, Chino was saved. Chino had often been told about the heroic deed of Mayuko. So, she had always admired her. Even after she got separated from her after the first raid on the village, she never forgot about her.

"No!" Mayuko said again,"I won't do as you say. Not anymore!"

As he heard Mayuko, he couldn't think of what he should say. He had never anticipated that Mayuko would ever stand up to him like that.

"Looks like you forgot who you are. Let me show you." He said.

"You cannot show me anything! From now on, I'm free!" Mayuko shouted and grabbed Chino by the hand. Chino was having a hard time making out the situation. But, she followed her cousin's lead anyways since she trusted her with her life. Mayuko didn't wait any longer. She started running dragging Chino with her before Joker could say anything. Chino did her best keeping up with her pace. Mayuko was desperate to save her. If nothing else, she whole heatedly wanted to do one thing right. She whole heatedly wanted to believe... that what she decided to do this time was the one thing she wouldn't regret doing.

There were monster like flames, eating away the hard built village. So, though it was already night, there was just enough light for all of them. While running, Mayuko carried her at one point and tried desperately to be lost from Joker's rudder.

She jumped over, crawled down, made numerous twists and turns while evading all the enraged burning hell around her as she was trying her hardest keeping Chino safe. At first, she thought that Joker might've been chasing after them. But, when she looked back, she found out that the two of them were alone in that area. She had finally put Chino down being utterly surprised. On the other hand, Chino struggled to make herself stable as soon as she got down.

After moments of silence amidst the vicious sound of the engulfing flame dancing with the air, Mayuko finally spoke.

"Chino, are you okay?"

"Yes, I think so, sister."

However, she looked troubled and Mayuko could tell as soon as she saw her face. But, she had nothing to do about it and she knew it very well. So, just to cheer her up a little, she thought of asking her about her family; like how they were doing and so on.

"How is your mother doing?" She finally said after a rather awkward pause.

"She died."

Mayuko was silenced at those cruel words. She had no idea that people other than her could go through hell as well. She was too naive. Yet again, after another awkward pause, she kneeled down to match Chino's height and hugged her.

"I'm so sorry!" She said as it was the only thing that she was capable of saying at that time. Chino looked at her in the eyes and saw clearly that her cousin's eyes were all teary.

"It's alright,  sister. I have you!"

It seemed to Mayuko as if she had just tried to cheer her up. And, she felt that it worked.

"Are you having trouble breathing in this smoke? Are you hurt anywhere?" She didn't hold back as she was really concerned.

"I'm fine, sister. Really!"

Mayuko didn't believe that, however.  She gave her a piece of cloth she was holding on to in case she needed to wipe the blood splatters.

"Cover your face with this for now. We're getting out of here."

"Okay."