She chose...

Laughter started training Mayuko. So did Joker. She had to go through intense and painful training. She had to kill the weak trainees to prove her worth. Though she got entangled in uncountable sins, she did not forget the vow she had made. She made sure to be cautious in every turn she had taken. She became the loyal dog Yonaka wanted her to be. Of course, it was all an act. There were times that she tried to unveil the secrets of the organization. And, there were times when she came close. However, she couldn't succeed in those attempts.

She used to be a rather naive girl as the girls of that age should have been. But, she learned the hard way that the world she lived in, the war trodden world, was not yet relieved from the heat. So, she never beat around the bush and always worked hard feeling threatened. And... like that... she passed 5 years in the facility. And, within those 5 years, she was taught all the fighting skills and nasty techniques there were. She learned them diligently without any question.

2nd August, 2200.

The little girl turned 17, though she looked like a 12 year old. At the very beginning, she thought of tricking the organization by using that advantage. But, she soon realised that they knew everything about her. Even the things she herself didn't know of. Anyways, she was suddenly called by Yonaka, the one who had claimed to be her savior. Mayuko was panicking a little as the head had never called for her in the last 5 years after retrieving her. She started to worry whether she had been found out for her repeated act of treason.

Cautiously, she responded to her call and stood before the heinous figure after a long long time. Though the figure of the heinous being changed a bit in the last 5 years, Mayuko had no trouble recognizing her.

"Your subordinates have informed me that you are ready", she said, "So, I will assign you to a job." She paused and then continued, "Your subordinates will be monitoring your every movement."

Mayuko remained silent. She was actually a bit relieved to know that she hadn't been caught. But, that emotion didn't last for long. She was shown several pictures from the monitor of a computer Yonaka was sitting before. Immediately, she knew what type of crime she was about to commit.

"This is a village which was formed by the Japanese emigrants. The locals there call it 'Hikari'. Red Fang once raided this village and apparently destroyed it completely 5 years ago. But, more emigrants entered and reformed the village one year after and are currently growing slowly in number."

She paused again and finally looked at her in the eyes.

"Your job is to infiltrate the village, kill everyone in sight and burn it to ashes."

Mayuko knew which place it was. How could she possibly forget about the place she had lived in for so long?

She said nothing and stared. As for Yonaka, she of course did that on purpose.

"Does this place ring any bell?" She said giving her a ferocious smile.

Mayuko didn't answer. Yonaka, however, didn't mind that and started to give her more information about her job. The more she heard, the quieter she became. After that, Laughter was called in. She later escorted Mayuko to a room on Yonaka's orders. The room was full of weapons both modern and ancient. Mayuko, however, didn't have the slightest inclination to choose any weapon which could kill life. But, she had to choose considering her own safety.

After careful inspection, she chose two Japanese swords forged from platinum and diamond shards. She also kept a few knives at her disposal. She didn't take any kind of gun which others would usually do.

After getting ready, Mayuko, Laughter and Joker along with some backups finally departed. On the way of the slightly long journey, Laughter babbled on about their plan. While everyone else were listening to her attentively, Mayuko, too, was hearing her babble. But, her mind was somewhere else. She was busy deciding which path she should choose. She was well aware that she was about to commit a sin from which she could never be free from. So, she had to decide... whether she should act like a loyal dog and kill her fellow brethren... or... whether she should betray the organization, protect the people and endanger her own life.

Of course, the answer should've been the later one. She could've been free from the chain of misery if she did so and she desired for that. But, she chose the first one, anyways. Because, she had made a vow 5 years ago. If she were to die so soon, how would she be able to take her revenge?