Chapter 14

The darkness slowly faded. Light came on through the slits in his eyes. It was blurry but Hamilton had just started to stir. He blinked trying to wipe the blurriness from his eyes.

"You know you really scared me," Laurens, who has holding his knees and leaning against the wall, deadpanned. He never once turned his head to see if Hamilton was awake, he just sensed it.

Hamilton jumped at the sudden noise. It took a few seconds for the words to click in his slow-moving brain.

"Sorry,"

"You know Adriene came by while you were out," Laurens started again, disregarding Hamilton's futile apology. He still stared straight ahead, staring at nothing but the air and wall in front of him.

"Why?"

"Why do you think?"

A pit in Hamilton's stomach began to grow. Laurens' shift in attitude scared him. It made his mind start to wonder about wat happened, which isn't good because Hamilton's thoughts were like demons disguised as angels. Seemingly harmless at first, but the more they stick around, the more their true colors show until their facade has fallen. Then, you're trapped. In too deep to get out.

Hamilton remained silent.

"He heard my pleas for you to wake up. He came by to see what the screaming was all about. Once he discovered you unconscious and had a makeshift bandage around you, he smirked. The bastard actually smiled." Laurens answered in disbelief. "But no need to worry, I didn't make a deal with him. No kissing or betrayal was involved."

The deal. Hamilton had almost completely forgotten. He felt bile rise in his throat. How could he have done that? How could he just let Adriene do that to him? How could he just have betrayed Laurens after everything he's done for him?

"I know. It was stupid. I don't know what I was thinking, okay?" Hamilton apologized, tears brimming his eyes. "I'm so-"

"No,"

"What?" Hamilton breathed out.

"No. I don't want any more empty apologies from you. I don't want to hear you make up another pathetic excuse." Laurens lectured, turning his head as his voice rose until he was staring at Hamilton dead in the eye. "You know, I've been trying to hold it together because I know how fragile you are. Out there, you may be one of the strongest, but in here," Laurens said giving a dry laugh. "you're a bomb waiting to go off."

Hamilton stared in shock. Was this the same man he had fallen in love with? The same man he'd left when he passed out?

Hamilton opened his mouth, but for the first time in a long time, he was speechless. Nothing came out.

"You're pathetic. A dandelion. A pretty flower, but easily destroyed with one breeze. A dandelion wishing they were a rose. Because rose's have thorns. They have a way to defend themselves. They don't need protection because they're stong!"

"I don't need anyone to protect me," Hamilton barked, his voice raised but not yet yelling.

"Oh please, you can barely spend a few hours in a storm without a distraction!"

"Come on! I can and you know it! You just don't like to admit that I don't need you!"

"You're right. You don't."

"John, I didn't-"

"I don't even know why I'm still with you! You have done nothing but drag me down!"

"Oh so you think it's easy living with a person hanging off your shoulder?"

"Do you really think I want to spend my waking days waiting on someone?"

"Then why didn't you just leave?"

"Because I cared! I actually loved your pathetic personality! I loved every inch of your body, every word spoken! But now, I'm not too sure."

"I'm not sure-no wait- I am sure. I don't love you. I hate you. I freaking hate you!" Hamilton yelled without thinking.

"Classic Alexander," Laurens laughed.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means you always make yourself a victim. Do you even think before you speak? Do you even realize that I have been taking care of you? Do you realize that I have had mental breakdowns in the bathroom because taking care of you is too much? Do you even realize that I cannot grieve on the outside because I have to remain strong? Do you even realize I'm slowly giving myself to you so you can feel better?" John snapped, yelling at Hamilton.

"Then don't! Because I don't need or care about you! Give yourself to someone else and complain to them because you gave it to them when they didn't ask for it! I never asked any of this from you! You just started to do what you wanted without asking me!"

"I never asked you because I don't need to! I am my own person Alexander; I don't need your validation. And I certainly don't need you as my fiancé or lover for that matter!" Laurens screamed back before the reality of the situation could kick in.

"Neither do I," Hamilton sneered. He got up and moved away from Laurens trying to hide the tears brimming in his eyes.

"Fine," Laurens whispered as if he was reassuring himself, he made the right decision.

...

"Laurens let's go you know the drill. It's been a few days blah, blah, blah. So, let's go," Adriene cooed, watching a man drag Laurens to his feet. Adriene watched intently until Laurens was out of sight and stepped into the cell.

"It's been a while hasn't it, Alexander?" Adriene purred in a sickening nice tone.

"I suppose it has," Alexander sighed, looking up to see Adriene standing above him.

"Mmmm, your face is dirty,"

"Is it?"

"Yep," Adriene said, squatting down to Hamilton's level, rubbing his thumb against Hamilton's cheek. Their faces only inches apart.

"Hey Adriene?"

Adriene hummed in response.

In a quick moment of action, Hamilton smashed their lips together.