I can't do this, Alone

*Trigger warning* If you are sensitive to any sort of R rated material read with caution. 
I listened to the referenced song as well as "Liebestod" from Richard Wagner's ballet of Tristan & Isolde while writing this last chapter.

https://youtu.be/SiMT1PJDHw0

Blame Baz Luhrmann. ;)

“Now
We are one
In everlasting peace
We hope that you choke
That you choke
We hope that you choke
That you choke
We hope
That you choke
That you choke”

The first thing she became aware of was how tense he was, but her mind was running in recipes and checklists and Miran being tense wasn’t enough of an oddity to register in that moment. Then she noticed how the chattering of the busy square had died down to a deafening hush. She looked up from their shopping bags to see the townspeople parting like the Red Sea and Nasuh Şadoglu charging through like Ramses on his chariot. She had no time to react. There were no words to shout or questions to ask, and no fear for her own wellbeing. 

The shopping bags dropped to the ground with a dull thud. Why she registered that sound before the ringing of the bullet leaving the barrel of the gun, she had no idea. All she thought of in that moment was him . She turned in time to see him begin his descent, in hazy slow motion, to the ground at her feet. She screamed then, in fear of him hitting his head on the hard ground, the idea of a bullet lodged inside him still a distant specter. 

The sound of his skull cracking against the cobblestone made her knees buckle, all the air whooshing out of her lungs as she collapsed next to him. Her shaking hands hovered over him everywhere, the signals between her brain and body short circuiting. Awareness began to creep back in as the silence around her became a wall of gasps and shouts that caged her in. She felt as if she were at the center of the universe and the lowest pit of Hell simultaneously. 

Then something clicked. A calmness came over her. She looked straight into Miran’s eyes, knowing the importance of it, knowing it would be the last time she saw him alive. She read every emotion in them, memorized every freckle in his irises, counted every tear that dropped on his cheekbone. 

Before he closed his stormy hazel eyes for the last time she whispered so only he could hear.

“I love you.”

And she swore she saw the corners of his mouth turn up into a smile as his soft lashes came down to lock his eyes away from hers forever. 

The strange calmness still possessed her, even as fat tears dripped down her face in a never ending stream. Her brain and her body still disconnected somewhere. She didn’t know which it was, brain or body, that decided to stand and face the man who had never been her grandfather. The crowd around them grew even louder as news spread further afield, but it was just static in her ears. Her focused narrowed, to an old man and his shaky hand on a shiny gun.

She snatched the weapon from him with an ease and speed she didn’t know she possessed. The gasp from the crowd was a blip on the radar, her ears still hearing only a deafening buzz. When she dropped down beside her love and raised the gun to her temple the reception cut out and she was left in blissful silence. The only sound was that of her breath and the click of the gun as she cocked it to fire again. 

She looked up into the eyes of the man that had tortured her her whole life, who wanted to kill her. Instead he had killed the only person on Earth who had ever fought for her. He had taken all she had left. All of this for a blood feud. For something that happened almost 30 years ago. Kidnapping, lies, bloodshed, and sullied honor. What had it lead to? More of the same. The actions of the generation before them had nearly destroyed their lives, and now it had taken Miran’s life altogether.

She would end it. She would break the cycle. How could they fight over her honor like stray dogs over meat if she was no longer here? 

Police sirens rang in the background, growing louder with each second as they came closer and closer to the scene. But they came in vain. 

She closed her eyes then, her thoughts shifting over to being reunited with her love. She found his heart with her left hand, the blood still warm on the fresh wound. Her very last breath was his name leaving her lips. 

********************************************************************************************************

Beautiful in death, as they were in life, Miran and Reyyan lay together in everlasting peace in the very same square that was the epicenter of their families enmity.

Notes:

I wasn’t sure how to end this and this song (written for the 1996 Romeo+Juliet) was always the last song of the playlist, so it seemed fitting. DON’T COME FOR ME, but I’d kinda like a dramatic ending for Reymir on the show, as long as they die in each other’s arms and their families learn from their ways of course.