✥ six ✥

Sal entered the basement apartment quickly and quietly, hoping not to wake Lisa on his way in. He scanned the room in the dark, blindly making his way to Larry's bedroom, where (Y/N) was.

The bedroom light was on when he entered. (Y/N) sat on the bed, her blanket wrapped around her. She seemed in shock, which didn't surprise Sal. The Red-Eyed Demon was purely terrifying to see, especially for the first time.

He sat down next to her. "I came down as quick as I could. Are you okay?" He asked, putting an arm around her shoulder.

She nodded, "Yeah. It got really close to me, but it ran away. I think it has something to do with this crystal." She said. "I don't understand what's up with this stupid thing!" She said, pulling the chain over her head.

Her and Sal started at the white crystal. It burned in the wrong hands, changed colors once placed into the metal cage, and even electrified in the presence of the demon. It wasn't an ordinary crystal, they understood that, but what exactly was it and its purpose?

"Do you want to come upstairs?" He asked after a moment. "Larry fell asleep and I didn't wake him. I figured he need the sleep."

(Y/N) shrugged. "I don't think I can go back to sleep." She stood up. "I want to go through my dad's stuff. I want to see if we can find anything out about this crystal."

"(Y/N), I don't think the thing came with an instruction manual." He said, standing up as well, following the girl out into the open living area. She opened her bedroom door and threw her blanket on the bed. She turned on a standing lamp next to her closet and pulled out two large storage tubs.

"I understand that, Sal, but maybe there's something that says what it does? Maybe he wrote something down?" She opened the lid of one tub and began going through it. "Will you look through that one?" She asked.

"What is this stuff?" Sal asked, sitting next to her. He pulled the box closer. Inside was photos and a few clothing articles, as well as a lot of loose paper.

"My dad used to have this filing cabinet. It was always locked and he always kept the key on him. My mom didn't even know what was in it. For a while I just figured it was like tax stuff and what not, like, what else do adults file away, you know?" She said, pulling out a stack of papers.

"But, the day he disappeared, once we got home from school, I noticed the small key on my desk. It was just sitting there. I knew what key it was. I've seen him use it before. So, the next day, while mom was at the police station, I snuck in there and looked through everything. Some was tax papers, and just bills and whatnot. After the police stopped looking, Mom had me place everything in these totes. I haven't looked through them in a while."

Sal nodded, "So, you're hoping there's something in here that can help you figure out anything about that crystal?"

"Yeah." She replied.

They spent hours looking through each and every page. Sal pulled out a piece of paper and skimmed it. A frown settled on his face. He looked at it for longer than he intended to, which caused (Y/N) to notice.

"Did you find something?" She asked, hopeful.

"Huh?" Sal said, not noticing he had been lingering on this page for long. "Oh, no. It's just this." He said, handing the page to her.

"Oh." She said, looking at the page. The top in capital letters said "Certificate Of Death."

"Who was that?" He asked. (Y/N) was silent for a moment. "Sorry for asking."

"No, it's fine." She replied. "It was my baby sister." She replied. "She was stillborn. We were all so excited. Larry and I were 12. Mom and Dad had the nursery painted and they we're setting up the crib one day when mom started having really bad pains. We all thought she was just going into labor early. The baby was due like a month later. But.." She trailed off and Sal nodded, understanding what happened.

Sal frowned, "I'm sorry."

She stuffed the paper away and shrugged, not knowing what else to say. She continued looking through her box and came across a paper with strange symbols and terrible hand writing. She looked at it, trying to read what the handwriting said, but she couldn't accomplish much.

"Does this look like something to you?" She asked, handing the paper over to Sal. He skimmed it and shrugged.

"Not sure. I can't read anything on it."

"Me either," she replied. "It's almost like he was in a rush. My dad always had wonderful handwriting. I can tell it's his though because of the way he makes his W's."

"Maybe Larry can read it? He does have shitty handwriting. Maybe since his handwriting sucks, he can also read sucky handwriting."

She nodded and placed the paper in a different pile. It wasn't long before both of them hit the bottom of their tubs, not finding much else.

"I'm sorry that was a bust." Sal said, helping out the papers back into the tubs as they were before. "I hope we find something soon."

"Me too." She said, dropping a stack of papers down. She grabbed another, a single page fluttered off the stack and onto the ground. Sal reached over and grabbed it, flipping it over to find symbols once more, yet these looked familiar.

"What's that?" (Y/N) asked, moving her body around to look at the page. The symbols on the page also seemed somewhat familiar to her.

"Do these look familiar?" Sal asked. He remembers seeing one or two in a dream before. "They look familiar to me."

"Yeah, a little bit."

"They look almost like a different language. Look at the structure." He said, pointing out spaces and what looked like punctuation. It looked like a note.

(Y/N) took the note from his hand and looked closer at it. She's seen those symbols on other things of her fathers. She could remember the tattoo he had on the back of his leg with similar symbols. Maybe it was something her dad made up?

Hours passed and the four teens sat up in Todd's apartment, an hour past the schools start time. They all decided to skip in order to figure out more about the Red Eyed Demon.

"So, you're saying that this big creepy fucker got scared by your dainty ass necklace?" Larry asked, leaning against the door, his head back and staring at the ceiling trying to process. "That doesn't make a damn lick of sense."

"Larry, that's not an ordinary necklace and you know that." Sal said. "I think your dad was into something weird. Maybe a cult or witchcraft?"

(Y/N) shot Sal a look. She always told him not to mention anything about their father to Larry. Larry was still extremely sensitive about his fathers disappearance. He blames himself for his absence.

"My dad was a tough fucking guy, there's no way he would be into anything like that." He retorted, looking over at Sal.

"Just think about it. He gave (Y/N) that necklace. We were both there when it changed colors. You felt it burn. That's not normal. That is literally something out of a witchcraft book, Larry."

Larry looked at his sister and then back at his friend. He didn't know what to say. He knew his dad wasn't a witch, or a wizard, or anything in between. His dad loves motorcycles and listening to rock and screamo. It didn't add up.

"Larry, I have something to tell you." His sister said from across the room. "I can talk to ghosts."