Chapter 1

Merlin stood by the large tent, and let out a heavy sigh as he saw Guinevere go into the tent where she would break Prince Arthur's enchantment with true love's kiss. Merlin bowed his head in defeat as Gwen disappeared inside. 'It can never be.' He thought to himself, his heart breaking. The reason, is because Merlin loves Arthur. Yes, he loved Freya, loved her a lot - and the thought of her brought pain to his heart - he loved her in a different way. While his love for Arthur is fierce, all-consuming and painful, his love for Freya was gentle, sweet and delicate. Freya made him forget about his feelings for Arthur, made him feel loved and treasured for the first time in his life by someone that isn't his mother or Gaius and when she died, he was reminded on why it could never be. Merlin had loved Arthur from the moment he first saw him. True, he was a complete prat, but he was a beautiful prat with a heart of gold. Not that he told anyone that. King Uther would have his head if he found out. Not even mentioning if he finds out said person was a powerful warlock.

Merlin peaked inside and saw Gwen speaking with Arthur. He saw Gwen stride up to Arthur and as soon as their lips touched, released the flap of the tent not wishing to see anymore. Tears threatened to fall at the thought of them sharing passionate kisses with each other. He knew it could never be, but he couldn't help but hope. And now that hope is shattered, just like his heart. He could see Gwen walking out of the tent positively glowing with happiness and love in his mind's eye. Envy and sadness spread through Merlin like a plague as he thought this and he just wanted to curl into a ball, and cry his heart out. Merlin turned around and started walking up to the citadel back to his chambers, when Gwen came out. Merlin heard he approaching and turned around seeing Gwen looking...

Utterly defeated. And angry.

Merlin was really confused. Gwen was supposed to be happy not miserable and angry. He didn't understand. Gwen had tears falling from her eyes. She made to walk past Merlin, but he grabbed her arm. "Woah, Gwen. What's wrong?"

Gwen turned and glared at him, wrenching her arm from him. "What's wrong?" She repeated, her voice angry. Merlin did a double take at the intensity of it. "It didn't work, that's what's wrong." Angry tears rolled down her cheeks. Merlin's jaw dropped.

"What?" He asked, dumbstruck. It should have worked. "What do you mean it didn't work?"

"I mean Merlin," She began, hotly, "that you lied to me. It did not work. Arthur doesn't love me." Her shoulders slumped in defeat.

"What? Gwen I never li-"

"Save it, Merlin." She said sharply, effectively cutting him off. "He doesn't love me and that's that."

Merlin stood there gaping. "What? He does. I know Arthur, and I know that he loves you. No one else. I'm sure of it." Merlin murmured the latter to himself. He doesn't understand. Arthur loves Gwen. Arthur said so himself, so why didn't the enchantment work?

"No, Merlin. He doesn't." Her voice cracked and more tears slid down her cheeks. She walked off leaving Merlin standing there. After a minute, he went up to Arthur's tent and peered in. Arthur was obviously still under the enchantment. He still had that dazed look in his eyes and stupid lovestruck grin on his face. Merlin admired the prince, noted how beautiful Arthur is, before anouncing his presence.

"Arthur?" He asked hesitantly. Arthur turned to him, still grinning. Merlin had the desire to rip that stupid grin off, of his face,

"Ahh, Merlin." He said. "Isn't it a great day?" Arthur gave a happy sigh and sat in a chair.

"Umm, Arthur? Are you... Alright?" Merlin asked, cautiously.

"I'm absolutely wonderful, Merlin, thanks for asking." Arthur said, then faced Merlin again. "Do you have any idea what's going on with Guinevere? She was acting really strange earlier. She came in here and kissed me. She kissed me, Merlin. Not that I'm not flattered, but my heart belongs to Vivien."

Merlin's hands clenched. "Shut up." Merlin burst out before he could stop himself.

Arthur's eyes hardened, instantly losing that dazed look, and went cold. "What, did you say?" Arthur said, dangerously.

Merlin gulped. "Uhh..." Merlin faltered, that cold look scaring him. He never thought that look would be directed at him. Well, he imagined it when he came up with different scenarios Arthur found out about his magic, but now it was actually happening, he hopes never to have that look directed at him again. "Umm... I said... I'm going to... Sharpen your sword." And with that Merlin fled the tent, Arthur's icy glare following him out.