Chapter 3

"Arthur?" Merlin repeated, trying to rouse the unconscious prince. Merlin was panicking fast. What happened? One minute, they were kissing, and then the next, Arthur was unconscious. Merlin was at a loss of what to do. Merlin was just contemplating getting Gaius, when Arthur stirred. Arthur's eyelids fluttered and Merlin saw Arthur's eyes open. Merlin released a breath he didn't realise he was holding as Arthur awoke.

"Merlin..." Arthur said, trying to figure out happened. Arthur seemed to realise that Merlin's arms were around him still, and Merlin reluctantly, let go of him. "What... Arg..." Arthur clutched his ribs as he stood up. Merlin stood up, gazing at Arthur, eyes full of concern. "What happened?" Arthur said, through clenched teeth, to refrain from showing pain. Merlin's heart sunk a little.

"You... You don't remember?" Merlin asked, voice on the verge of despair, for Arthur doesn't remember what had transpired between them, that meant the world to Merlin.

"Remember what? What don't I remember?" Arthur asked, frustrated still clutching his side.

Merlin's heart shattered. Arthur doesn't remember. "N-nothing." Merlin stuttered trying to bite back tears that threatened to fall.

"Why do my ribs hurt?" Arthur asked genuinely confused.

"You're..." Merlin swallowed, as his voice was thick was with unshed tears. "You're in a fight. With King Olaf. A fight to the death." Arthur looked sharply at Merlin. "You're losing." This caught Arthur's attention. His eyes widened in disbelief and his jaw dropped.

"I'm... What?" Arthur asked, wanting some confirmation.

"You're losing."

"And how come I don't recall any of this?" Arthur asked, voice on the verge of desperation.

"You were enchanted." Merlin said, not wanting to go into detail as it broke Merlin's heart, that Arthur won't remember. "You were besotted with the Lady Vivien."

Arthur's look, formed into that of disgust. "I was besotted with the Lady Vivien?" Arthur asked, desperately wanting Merlin to say it's not true.

"Yes." Merlin said, shortly. At that moment the trumpets played, signalling the next fight. Merlin wordlessly handed Arthur his sword, and they silently left the tent, to the large arena.

"Merlin," Arthur began. "If, anything happens, look after Guinevere." Merlin choked back tears. Gwen. Of course. Arthur walked into the arena and faced his opponent, King Olaf. Merlin went to stand near Gaius.

"I see, that Arthur's unenchanted." Gaius commented. Merlin nodded. "But, I thought that only true loves kiss could break the enchantment."

Merlin bit back tears and said, "Uhh, yeah. Turns out, it had to take time to, umm, take affect." Merlin lied. Gaius looked at his ward with concern, but Merlin avoided the old physician's eyes, instead watching intently at the fight, in front. Merlin drew in a sharp breath everytime Arthur was hit.

Arthur finally beat Olaf, and was about to run him through, when Arthur lowed his sword and announced, "This is no way to achieve peace." The crowd applauded and Merlin turned around, and went back his chambers, eyes downcast. Gaius watching him, concern written on his features.

A single tear, fell from Merlin's eyes as he walked back to his chambers. Merlin raised his hand, touching his lips. He can still feel Arthur's lips on his, even if it was a while ago. His lips tingled in the sensation of it. It brought more despair within Merlin, knowing that Arthur will never remember it.

***

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter again. I think the next one is going to be longer.

I hope you like it.

@Triquetra123