Chapter 4

When Gaius entered Merlin's chambers, it was to find him lying on his side, curled into himself, eyes red-rimmed with tears streaming, silently down his cheeks. "Merlin?" Gaius asks softly, upon seeing his distraught ward.

"G-Gaius." Merlin wiped his eyes in a futile attempt to rid himself of tears.

"Are you alright, my boy?" Gaius sat next to Merlin on his bed.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine." Merlin's voice was thick with emotion. He was still wiping his eyes.

Gaius gave him a disbelieving look. "Well, Arthur's looking for you."

"Is he?" Merlin asked monotonously. "Probably to polish his armour, or sharpen his sword or something."

"Merlin..."

"I better go and see what Arthur wants." Merlin got up and went to go see to Arthur's needs. Gaius watched him go sadly, knowing Merlin's in love and is distraught. Why, though, Gaius couldn't fathom.

Merlin walked though the halls of Camelot. It was almost dusk. Merlin had no desire to go see Arthur at the moment, so he went up to the highest battlements and sat down. He had a brilliant view of Camelot from up here. It almost made him forget his problems. Almost. Then he saw Arthur walking to Gwen's house, holding flowers. Merlin buried his head in his arms, and heartbroken sobs wracked his body.

***

Arthur walked to Gwen's house that night and knocked on the door. No answer. He opened the door, and looked inside only find it devoid of life. He placed the note on the table and sat in a chair, waiting for Gwen. As he waited, Arthur thought about the last few days. He couldn't remember anything, other than brief flashes, but even they were fuzzy. From what Merlin said, he was besotted with Vivien. Vivien. What was he thinking? Obviously, he wasn't thinking, if he was besotted to Vivien of all people. Arthur heard Gwen approaching, and stood up, hiding behind the door. Gwen entered wiping her eyes with the palm of her hand. She sees the note and is confused, until Arthur announces his presence. Gwen's shoulders slumped. The enchantment was broken, so that must mean that Merlin found the one Arthur truly loves. Or it was Merlin, himself. Gwen wouldn't be surprised. She had suspected for a while now but was naïve enough to hope there wasn't anything between them. Oh, how wrong she was. She turned around, seeing Arthur holding a bunch of flowers.

"I thought I'd better deliver it myself this time." Arthur said. "I'm sorry... For... What I put you through." Arthur stammered. He wasn't good at apologising.

"No. You have nothing to be sorry for. I, too, have caused my share of hurt." She said, almost coldly, wiping her eyes again. Arthur didn't understand why Gwen was crying or her almost cold demeanour towards him.

"You must believe me when I say that my feelings for... Vivien... Were not real. I have never loved anot-"

"Stop." Gwen said, effectively cutting him off. Arthur looked confused. "Just... Stop, Arthur." Gwen looked at Arthur, tears still running down her cheeks. "Please... Just... Stop."

"Guinevere, what's going on?" Arthur asked, genuinely confused. "I love you."

Gwen shook her head. "No. You don't love me Arthur." Gwen's voice cracked. "If you did, I would have been able to break the enchantment. But I didn't."

"Gwen, what are yo-"

"Who was with you when the enchantment broke?" Gwen asked, looking desperately into Arthur's eyes.

"I... I don't remember. I have no memory of the last few days." Arthur said. "All I remember was that I went to bed one night, and then I was waking up in that tent. I had no idea what transpired but that's all I know." Gwen was shocked at what she was hearing. Arthur has no recollection of the last few days? He doesn't remember who kissed him to break the enchantment? Strange. "Wait. Merlin, was in the tent when when I woke up and he told me I was under an enchantment. He was pretty sad, though. Probably worried that magic was at play."

That confirmed Gwen's suspicions. It was Merlin who broke it. "I knew it." Gwen said, more to herself, than Arthur. Arthur looked at her confused.

"Knew what?"

"To break the enchantmemt, it had to be true loves kiss. I kissed you and nothing happened. I think it was Merlin who broke it." She said.

Arthur stared at her, before laughing. "Merlin? I don't think so." Arthur scoffed. "Merlin isn't my true love." Arthur said. Sure, Arthur did have an... Attraction... For Merlin, but that's it, isn't it? There was no way he was in love with him, right?

"He kissed you to break the enchantment." Gwen said, indignantly.

"I'm pretty sure I would remember something like that." Arthur responded, disbelieving. He was pretty sure he would remember Merlin kissing him. Surely. But what if Merlin did? Hope run through him, but he clamped it down. He loves Gwen. Well, he thought he loved Gwen. Maybe she was the attraction, not Merlin. He doesn't know. Arthur is confused. Gwen kept looking at him, indignantly. "But... But, I... I love you Gwen."

"I doubt it not, but if Merlin broke the enchantment, then you must love him more." Gwen said, softly.

"I..." Arthur trailed off. To be honest, Arthur doesn't know anymore.

"Speak to him." She said, softly.

Arthur hesitated. "Alright." Arthur said, relenting. "I'll speak to him, tomorrow."

"Good." Gwen said. Arthur kissed her cheek, softly. She blushed.

"Good night, Guinevere." Arthur said, opening the door. "And, I'm sorry."

"Good night, sire." Arthur walked out, softly closing the door behind him. He walked through the empty courtyard, still holding the flowers. Arthur had a lot to think about.

***

A/N: Sorry about the short chapter, but I think that the next one is longer. I hope.

Don't forget to vote and comment.

@Triquetra123