Chapter 12

"What on earth are you doing?" Wally asked as he exited the bathroom. Leave a bedridden thirteen-year-old for five minutes and you come back to this.

"Nothing... just hanging around," Dick answered, staring at his redhead boyfriend upside down.

Wally sighed while Dick continued to lay on his bed, his head dangling off the side.

"You know I never noticed that there were engravings on the side of the door."

"You that bored?" Wally asked, closing the bathroom door behind him. He was promptly answered by a blank stare from the younger.

"You know what? Why not binge-watch a long series or movie?" Wally said, grabbing the remote to the television.

~

They were halfway through The Two Towers, the second movie of Lord of The Rings when Dick spoke up.

"Who do you think shot me?" the ebony asked out of the blue.

"... Is that a trick question?"

"Like, who and why did they shoot me? Was it because I'm the ward of Bruce?" Dick clarified, getting up from his boyfriend's hold.

"Maybe, we won't know until Batman finds something, it's you guys who're the detectives, not me," Wally answered, sitting up as well.

"Yeah, I know that but... what if it wasn't because of being the ward of Bruce," Dick murmured, the gears in his head turning.

"What do you mean by that? You think that it's Zucco?" Wally asked his boyfriend, trying to understand what the younger was thinking about. "But that's impossible, he's in prison."

"Yeah, he is... But what if it's because of my heritage," Dick said in realization. "I need you to get my laptop!"

Wally didn't wait a second before speeding to grab the laptop on that was on the study table. He gave the thirteen-year-old his laptop and plopped himself to see what the younger was on about.

Dick started to bring up tabs about the victims of the murders when he finally realized what connected them.

"I know why I was attacked," Dick said in shock.

"What? How?" Wally asked, alert.

"I need to call Bruce," Dick murmured to himself, ignoring his boyfriend's question. He grabbed his cellphone on the nightstand beside him and started calling Bruce.

When Wally realized that his boyfriend was working on auto-pilot, he decided it was best to call Kaldur.

"Kaldur?" the speedster yelled in the mind-link, which should be on all through-out the day. "Dick thinks he found the attacker or maybe just a clue."

There was no reply from the leader for a minute before the redhead heard the Atlantean. "I'm on my way. Artemis, Superboy, Miss Martian, continue doing rounds. Superboy, cover my area."

"On it," Superboy answered.

Wally had to wait for the Atlantean while Dick was waiting for Bruce to answer. Just when Bruce answered the phone, Aqualad came in running.

"Bruce, I think I have a clue on my attacker," Dick said to the phone, not even waiting to hear from the billionaire. "Remember the mass murders that's been happening but there was no connection between the victims? I think I found one, they're all gypsies– or at least descendants of one."

Wally's eyes widened at what his boyfriend just said. Without warning, the redhead grabbed the laptop and started going through the tabs. Aqualad stood behind the speedster, reading over the redhead. All of the victims came from Romanian descendants or countries that gypsies have been staying at. All of them, gypsies.

"Shoot," Wally said under his breath.

"Yeah, I will," Dick said to the phone. He promptly placed the phone back on the nightstand and let out a deep sigh.

"Bruce says that I'll be even in more house arrest if what I think is true. Guess I need to search for more movies or shows to watch," the thirteen-year-old tried to joke but it was obviously forced.

"We'll protect you until the League finds this murderer," Aqualad stepped up.

"I know you will," Dick reassured the leader. "But to think that I'm being targeted because of my heritage and not because of being a ward of a billionaire is unnerving."

Wally wanted to say something to comfort the younger but he couldn't think of anything that would make Dick feel better. The speedster was about to give up when his stomach growled loudly. The two other occupants in the room turned to stare at the redhead, who was now becoming equally as red as his hair.

"Anyone up for a snack?" the speedster asked sheepishly.

Dick let out a small laugh and shook his head fondly at the speedster. "Yeah, I think I'm up for a quick snack."

He was about to get up from bed when there was a knock from the door. Alfred came in, not even waiting for a reply, with a tray with snacks, mainly popcorn, hot chocolate, and some sandwiches.

"Master Bruce called earlier that you and Master Wally were binge-watching movies so I brought some snacks for those and sandwiches in case if Master Wally is truly hungry," the butler informed them, setting the tray by the bedside table.

"Thanks, Alfred. You always know what I want," Dick thanked the butler, smiling at the elder.

Alfred let out a small smile and left the room. Aqualad then took his queue to leave as well.

"I'll be contacting the League on the possible lead, I'll be thinking of a plan and discuss the new information to the team during dinner," Kaldur said, stepping out the room. "I'll leave you the two of you to finish your movie. Wally, contact us if anything happens."

And with that, the leader left the room, leaving Wally and Dick once more. When the door shut closed, Wally took Dick's hands without warning, staring straight into the younger's eyes.

"I'll protect you from this madman," Wally said seriously. "I'll do whatever I can to keep you safe, even if it costs my life. You are my world and I can't dare lose you."

The redhead kissed the younger's hands softly, keeping it there for a while before placing it down and looking at Dick.

The ebony smiled sadly at the redhead. "And I couldn't dare make you waste your life because of something that you have no control over."

Wally shook his head and stood up and pulled his boyfriend in a tight hug. "There won't be a life for me to live without you by my side. We'll get through this together, the League will find the murderer, trust me."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sorry for the late update! I've been very busy and stressful cause of CETS and I just got back from taking the test for my dream college... yay... I'll try my best to update on time next month but... no promises :((