- Chapter 7 -

The smell of smoke carried across the wind and filtered with the wind through the open bedroom window next to the three sleeping girls. All three of them were sprawled across the bed, they had fallen asleep while talking and the empty tubs of ice cream were resting on the bedroom floor.

Harper was the first to wake up, which was strange as she was a heavy sleeper, she groaned and sat up in the bed. A quick glance at her half-charged phone told her that it was three twenty-eight in the morning. As her senses returned to her slowly, she smelt the smoke on the air.

Puzzled, she walked over to the window and looked out. What greeted her was a sight that made her heart plummet through her body and her head spin slightly. There was a bright inferno of orange flames that were wrapped around the stables, "oh. My god!"

"Becky! Zoe! Wake up!" Harper yelled at them as she shook them on her way past, she ran down the hallway to her dad's room. She shook him harshly to wake him up and told him what was going on and to call the fire engines.

In the time that Harper had been talking to her dad, Becky and Zoe had run down the stairs and out the door and they were running as fast as they could to the back field of the stables. Harper followed closely behind them and adrenaline ran through her reins and woke her up.

They ducked under the gap in the fence and saw a few horses already out in the field, it was strange as they had been inside the stables that night. Harper's eyes frantically searched for Robin. She couldn't see him.

"Robin!" Harper shouted, deathly afraid.

The three girls called for their horses desperately, none of them were in the field. After a long, long minute, Raven galloped out of the yard and into the field. It was a relief to Zoe, but the other two girls were still terrified for their horses, at this point, lives.

"Robin!" Harper shouted; her voice strained with the panic that had started to envelop her every nerve ending. Maggie had woken up, along with Mia and Elliot. The panic in the small group amounted even higher when Mia screamed for Firefly, who was also not in the field.

"Ten horses, we're missing three." Maggie told Elliot after she had done a quick head count of all the horses, the horses that were outside of the stable were spooked and were pressed against the back fence.

"They must still be in the stables."

There were faint whinnies coming from inside the inferno, the flames were so bright that Harper could see it imprinted on the backs of her eyelids whenever she blinked. The fire rose higher as it swallowed their home, the place they loved. What were they going to do after this?

Harper couldn't lose Robin again; she didn't think she would be able to survive if she did.

Mia rushed closer to the fire and the other two girls followed after her, before they could get too close, their horses came out of the side entrance of the stables Firefly and Robin ran out first, closely followed by Bob.

Tears of relief streamed down Harper's face as Robin rushed towards her, she wrapped her arms around his neck and sopped into his coat which smelt like a sickening kind of burnt wood. She quickly drew herself back and checked that there was no ash in his eyes and that he hadn't got any type of injury.

By a sort of miracle, he was only covered in ash and there were no injuries on him anywhere, there wasn't even any ash inside his eyes, only around.

The lights of the fire engine reflected over the grass of the back field; the firefighters had at last arrived. Although they came as fast as they could, Harper felt irritation in that they could have saved more of the stables if they had just arrived a little earlier.