"There is just something about her." - Supercorp

Summary: Eliza is skeptical of Kara's new relationship with the Luthor but hearing her daughter(s) talk about her girlfriend is enough to convince her that they were made for each other.

* * * 

'Eliza! I didn't know you were coming,' Kara Danvers exclaimed happily once she opened the door to her apartment. 

'I wouldn't miss your surprise Earth birthday party for the world,' the mother assured lovingly as she pulled her adoptive daughter in a warm hug. 

'Come in, come in,' the Kryptonian ushered the older woman in and brought her suitcase inside. 'How was your flight?' She asked as she poured her mother a glass of wine. 

'Thank you, Kara,' the doctor accepted the drink gratefully before answering. 'It was turbulent, but nothing I couldn't handle. How have you been? How are things at CatCo and the DEO?' 

'Same old,' the blonde reported with a smile. 'Life hasn't been too crazy at the moment, and everything has felt almost normal, but I've never been happier,' her blue eyes were unmistakably directed toward the CEO in the other room. 

'I'm really glad to hear that, honey. So, Lena threw you this party?' The bio-engineer questioned curiously. 

Kara bit back her grin as if that would help contain the love and excitement she felt at the mention of her girlfriend. 'Yeah, she wanted me to have a real birthday party with the presents, the cake, and the balloons, since she didn't have them growing up.'

'Listen, Kara. I don't want to meddle because it's none of my business what goes on in your love life, but as your parent, I do feel like I need to warn you. I know you and your sister both trust her, but she's still a Luthor and you can't forget what her family has done,' Eliza cautioned, making the crinkle appear between the Super's brows. 'I just don't want you to get hurt, sweetheart.'

'I know you mean well, Eliza,' the Kryptonian pushed up her glasses and crosses her arms. 'I'm sorry you don't trust her, or feel like I should keep my guard up around her, but I can't do that. I trust her with my life, and after feeling lost for so long, she feels like coming home. I can't explain it, there's just something about her that makes me feel safe and happy.' 

'I'm sorry, Kara. I didn't mean to upset you,' the doctor apologised quickly once she noticed the sad look on her daughter's face. Before she could say anything more, the Luthor joined their small gathering. 

'I hope I'm not interrupting. It's nice to see you, Dr. Danvers,' Lena Luthor greeted politely, shaking the older woman's hand firmly.

'Likewise, Lena, and call me Eliza,' the parent told her warmly. 

'We should regroup with the others before they eat all the snacks,' Kara interjected, making the CEO raise an eyebrow confusedly. 

'What if I wanted to talk to your mom some more? Are you scared she'll tell all your embarrassing childhood stories?' The Luthor teased. She quickly dropped the playful act when she noticed the bright smile missing from her girlfriend's face. She wrapped her arm around the blonde's waist and pulled her closer. 'What's wrong?' She asked softly. 

The reporter shook her head gently, signalling she didn't want to talk about it at that moment. She forced a smile and nodded to the living room where the others guests were mingling. 'The snacks...' 

The L-Corp CEO rolled her eyes jokingly, 'of course. It's always about food with you, isn't it? Excuse us, Dr.-, Eliza. It's time to feed this Kryptonian.' 

'Go ahead. Her stomach waits for no man, I've learned that lesson the hard way,' the doctor laughed. 

With that, the lovers walked off towards the living room. Knowing there was something on her girlfriend's mind, Lena kissed the blonde's temple and whispered, 'I love you.' Kara snuggled deeper into the businesswoman, relishing in the safe haven she provided with.