III

It was 4:05 am the last time I checked my phone. I tried to super-speed home, but I crashed into a trash can twice before I gave up and started walking. Climbing the last flight of stairs before reaching the penthouse suit I try to fight my pounding headache. Twisting the knob off, the door opens slowly.

Shit.

I walked in, there is no point of tip toeing if your dad has super hearing. I pray that he's still in France.

"Jason Kent," he bellowed.

Shit.

I turned and walked through the kitchen. There they sitting at the dining room table my parents, the powerful and formidable Lois Lane, and The Man of Steel. My mom glared down at me like lasers are going to shoot out of her eyes. Dad stood there in his suit, arms folded over one another. It use to intimidate me when we would have talks while he was in his suit.

"Where were you?" My mom asked.

I try to keep a tight lip, I don't want to give any indication that I was drunk.

"Answer you mother, Jason."

"I was at The Lofts with Aaron." My eyes dart around to the only lamp illuminating the room, the cup of coffee my mom was drinking, my dad's red boots. Anywhere but-

"Are you drunk?" My father states more than asks.

I opened my mouth to speak.

"You heart rate is off, you're switching your balance, your ears are bright red, and you breath reeks of Vodka."

"In my defense I didn't know I could get drunk." I stated meekly.

"We don't know what affects you are not." He said sternly. "What if you hurt someone, exposed yourself. People know you exist and they want to know who you are to get to-"

"You," I could feel the room shift along with my balance.

"All of us. My enemies can use you against me, jeopardize not only our family, but the League and anyone else who is close to us."

"I was careful dad." I explain.

"Like when you broke the door knob just a second ago. If you are weakened you cannot properly face any threats. What if you needed to stop a mugging or worse. You want to be a hero, well act like it."

"I'm not even a hero, you don't even let me do anything." I rolled my eyes.

"That's because you act like a child." His words seem angry. But my father's voice remains calm, he's always had this ability to remain calm during any situation.

"Jason, we have these rules for a reason, I know you want to be like everyone else. But you don't have that luxury." My mom cut through the tension with her surprisingly calm voice. "We didn't know where you were, what if you someone kidnapped you, or you were beamed up into space, or captured by the government."

"I'm sorry mom." I could feel her hurt and worry.

"You're smarter than this." She stands up with her coffee and heads to their room.

Dad had simmered, "I think it's time we learn everything you're capable of, I'll see you 9 am sharp, we're going to the Fortress after training." With that Superman walks out of the room, leaving me alone staring out the window at the few stars in the sky.

~~~~~

As promised my dad woke me up at 9 am. He pulls the blinds back letting in the morning sun. "Get dressed and head down to the farm, I'll meet you there." My dad says in a monotone. He doesn't have the patience for me today. Yawning as I get up to go to the kitchen, walking past the dining room table I open the double doors to the balcony. Out stretching my arms I let the sun's rays engulf me. Curing my hangover and waking me up. 'The sun helps us, heals us, it is the source of all our strength.' I recall my father saying to me countless times.