ʟɪʙʀᴀʀʏ sᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇʀ

"Alright kids. It's time to read your favorite!," I hear a deep voice say.

I look to the kids' corner and see Nathan holding a book. Children made a semi circle on the carpet and I smiled to myself. He always comes in and volunteers to read to the kids of the orphanage. It was the sweetest and the children got to take free books with them every time. They enjoyed reading time. As I was going to put away some books, the little bell above the door rings. A man walks in with two boys at his side and a girl in his arms. He smiled at me lightly.

"Uh, hello. I'm here for the story time." "Nathan just started. Just all the way to the back left."

He smiles and thanks me. The boys head off ahead of him and he follows after them. I return to what I was going to do before he had walked in. It was my first time seeing him at the library. Maybe he's new around these parts. Minutes later, I had returned to my desk and saw my friend Lance waiting for me with my lunch. I smile widely and thank him.

"Hey girly. I got you your favorite. With your preferred drink," he says as he places the bag and drink down. "Thanks. Hey, how about you help me stamp these books while I eat ?," I say as I point to the pile of books. "Of course."

I smile and take a seat in my chair. We talk and laugh while we each do something. Finishing up lunch, I put away the stamped books in their appropriate spots. I ended up in the left corner where reading time took place and saw the man from earlier sitting, the little girl still in his arms. They were listening intensely as Nathan acted out and read the book with passion.

•••

A few days later
The man has kept coming to the library but just by himself. He would wave at me and make small talk. Today, he walked in with the kids again. He tells them to greet me as they came in. They wave and rush off to the reading corner. He places the little girl down and she runs after the boys, laughing.

"Good afternoon," I greet, "haven't seen the munchkins in a while. I was missing them." "Yeah, their mom had them for the few days I've been coming along."

No words were exchanged. He nods and walks away. He wasn't much for talking. I didn't mind though. He was so sweet every time he came in. He would leave a lollipop on the desk when he was on his way out. I've kept all the ones he's left so far. Nathan appears out of the bathroom and grabs another book for reading time.

"Do you know if Miss Lovette will bring the kids down? I haven't seen them in a while," he says. "I have no idea, Nate. She hasn't told me anything. I'm sure they're okay," I reassure him. "Well, I hope there's kids this time."

He walks away. Kids weren't showing up for reading time anymore and it was concerning. Miss Lovette had stopped showing up with the kids when they would be here everyday. Nathan was starting to make reading time just another simple thing to do and no longer was feeling the excitement.

December
I woke up extra early today to go decorate the library for Christmas. It was snowing hard but luckily, all the decorating took place inside. I brought out the boxes full of Christmas decorations by the desk. I had Lance help me clear out a space in the corner near the door for the tree. Every year since the orphanage started coming daily, we would have so many gifts for the children. I decided that this year, it was only fair to keep the tradition going. It was still dark outside which made the moment feel a little extra special. Suddenly, there's a knock on the door. I jump but when my eyes adjust to see better, I saw Jared standing outside. I quickly rush to open the door and he walks in, teeth clicking together.