Chapter 51 | Memento Mori

Dedicated to dmagiclight for his continuous support. Thank you so much for being this awesome.

"It's me."

Alessandro twisted the coin between his fingers, questions swirling in the back of his mind like an nearing storm. How? Coins only bore the heads of rulers -- and a regent had governed Crete for over ten years. Giacinto was heir to the throne and he was of age. He should be ruling. Yet here he was, playing banker.

The lost prince... the witch's voice echoed through his head.

"My mother had it made as a gift for a handful of favored nobles. When I came of age," Giacinto explained, as if he had read Alessandro's mind.

When he should have ascended to the throne.

What makes you think he isn't lying? The nagging little voice whispered. You can't read him. He could be lying all the time... He could be guilty. The voice stretched out it's long, gnarly fingers, sinking thins claws into Alessandro's head, tugging at his memories, pulling every second of doubt about Giacinto from the dark corners of his mind.

He escaped the prison. Would an innocent man know how? He had said he was bored and learnt to pick locks.

He killed that assassin with one strike. Would a prince know how to do that, hm? He could tell how long the artists had been dead at first glance. Look at him here, untouched by the stench of blood.

Alessandro's jaw clenched. He was a prince. He could have gone to war. He could have an interest in anatomy.

He sharpens his knives every night when others read. Look at his clothes, they're practical.
They said he killed a priest. He can scale a wall in seconds. He walks without sound.

So what. Maybe he climbed trees as a kid. Even Alessandro realized how ridiculous his excuses sounded.

He could be the monster you're looking for. He's capable. You know it! No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't shut it out. They all lie, Alessandro. Not now. Stop it!

You will always be betrayed. You can see the truth. But with those that truly matter, you blind yourself.

You're weak. You want to be fooled! The voice laughed, shrill and hysteric.

"Wrinkles, Steno, wrinkles." Giacinto raised an eyebrow at him. He hesitated. "Are you alright?"

Alessandro's head snapped up, caught. "I -- yes. Of course."

"I know I'm handsome, but it's getting creepy."

"I'm studying the coin."

"A portrait of me."

"Whatever you say," Alessandro sighed. Focus on the matters at hand. "Would anyone use it?" Even if, what were the chances it had ended up here?

Giacinto snatched the coin, tossing it up. It winked in the candlelight. He caught it without looking. "It's a sign of favor from the prince." The word sounded like acid burning his lips. "None of these whores would give it up." Giacinto's voice was icy.

Alessandro opened his mouth, but Giacinto cut him off. "It doesn't matter who originally owned it. We both know this was the Reaper. He was so kind to leave us a message."

"It could be fake. Turning our attention elsewhere." Alessandro could feel it gnawing at him. This was too large and interwoven. What if there was more than one plan in motion? If one knew of the other, they could make their movements look like the other party's. They could be running in circles the whole time, looking for connections where there weren't any. There was nothing to even suggest that, but still... what if. Two dangerous words.