Chapter 63 | The Devil You Know

Hello!
It's been a while. First and foremost — I hope all of you are doing well in these special times! If anyone ever needs to rant, ramble or talk about chocolate cookies and pretty book covers, message me any time!

Secondly, I'm terribly sorry for being gone for so long. 3 months! So, where was I? Some of you may know I'm a Med student, and I also work in a hospital, so right now you can imagine things are crazy! Shifts are super stressful, plus a giant load of work for university. I often just come home, after working overtime late, having a literal dent and scratched off skin on my nose and cheeks from wearing masks, and just crash into bed. If I haven't replied to your comments, I'm so very sorry! I'll try to sort through them these days.

Thirdly, thank you so much for being patient with me, messaging me to ask how I was doing or leaving comments. You guys are the best — and the reason I pushed to write this chapter. So think of this chapter as dedicated just to you! You always put a smile on my face.

And fourthly — if you'd like a tiny refresher of some details that might've gotten lost, because it's been three months and I'm a horrible person, I'll leave a small list of things in the comment here!
And now, enjoy!

"Better the devil you know than the devil you don't..." (Saying)

"I don't think it's Antonio." Giacinto didn't meet Alessandro's eyes.

There's more. Anger flared in his chest, bright and bitter. Of course there's more. There's always more with him.

Giacinto was everything and nothing. A million contradictions. An infamous prince, a nameless banker, a mourner, a survivor, a killer. A liar who held the rawest truths.

But most of all, he was a trickster. Alessandro would do well to remember a trickster's nature. He had been slipping into one of his mother's cautionary fairy tales. Some nobles might keep panthers to purr in gilded cages – but not for one second could that change their nature.

Giacinto wore his masks like a nesting doll. He twisted away in the twilight between truth and lie.

"How long." Despite Alessandro's efforts, the bitterness of betrayal seeped into his voice. "How long did you know?" How long did you let us chase our own tails, loosing time – loosing lives?

The honest surprise on Giacinto's face hit him like a slap. "I don't know anything," he snapped. "But apparently you know I'm guilty before I've uttered a single word."

Alessandro hadn't meant that. ... but you thought that, the cruel little voice whispered in delight. You will always think that.

He couldn't help it. He tried. He kept telling himself Giacinto had saved their lives countless times. And yet, at the first hint of secrets, he jerked away as if he had been cut. Doubt and suspicion had their their clammy fingers eternally wrapped around his neck.

He should be rising to the challenge in Giacinto's voice. He should be getting angry. But ... he was just confused. He dragged his fingers through his hair, jaw tense. He would rather be angry. Anger at least had direction.

"I... apologize." He hesitantly turned to muster Giacinto's expression – the Greek was more sensitive than his wicked grins let on. Had he offended him? Hurt him?

But Giacinto grabbed Alessandro's face with both hands, tugging the corners of his mouth into a theatrical smile with his thumbs. "Smile. You're no ancient hermit."

Alessandro forced his expression blank.

"This worked better with my little brother," Giacinto frowned. "Smile or I'll tickle you again?"