Chapter 54 | Lionheart

Dedicated to IvaNeedsHolyWater for their support! Thank you so much! Also, wow, you are a damn fast reader!

Why did he feel guilty?

Alessandro hadn't known what that irritating, dull gnawing in his chest was until he stepped out of the villa and his eyes landed on Giacinto jumping out of a carriage. Giacinto had been trying to contain the damage of Piero's death – if the Lady had him chauffeured here, things had to look good.

Giacinto dragged a gloved hand through his dark hair. He was tired. It was the little things, the slow exhale, how he no longer fiddled his fingers – even the wild curls looked slumped.

Alessandro felt the annoying need to tell him to get some sleep.

Their eyes met and something in Giacinto struggled – then he raised his hand for a small wave and jogged across the street. "Evening, giant."

"Good evening," Alessandro nodded at him.

"Are you planning on turning into a tailor's doll?" Giacinto's eyes flitted up his chest.

Alessandro wore a dark red silk jacket, double rows of golden buttons lending it the appearance of military dress, but it hung open over his wide shirt. "Is that your way of saying I'm well dressed?"

Giacinto snorted. "That's my way of saying you look ridiculous, doll."

"Not everyone can have your affinity for funeral dressings."

"Always prepared." Giacinto's evil grimace was ruined by him yawning halfway through.

"Very intimidating."

"At least my boots aren't polished enough to use as a mirror."

"That's because then you'd have to do something about that atrocious hair of yours."

"Doll."

"Barbarian."

Giacinto laughed. "Barbaros literally means 'not Greek'. Technically, you're the barbarian here," he said, giving Alessandro a side-way grin as he pushed past him into the villa. "You coming?"

The gnawing intensified, an uncomfortable feeling unfurling in Alessandro's chest. "I'm heading out."

"Something turned up?" Giacinto made his way back. He was exhausted, shadows lingering under his eyes, his cheeks hollower than usual. They hadn't had breakfast before Amand had rallied them, Laelia knocked him out the evening before – Giacinto hadn't eaten anything for the last 24 hours at least, Alessandro realized – yet he was ready to follow Alessandro to the next crime scene.

Alessandro shook his head. "No, no case. Lorenzo had asked –"

Just like that, Giacinto's entire posture changed. Surprise and irritation flitted over his face. "Do have fun." He must have tried for a wicked grin, but it turned vicious at the too sharp twist of his lips.

"For the last time, I am no sodomite."

"And I'm the Pope," Giacinto said. "I'll brief you in the morning then. Now excuse me, I have work to do. Unlike some of us." He turnt back abruptly, disappearing into the villa.

"Marinos." Alessandro only knew Giacinto was listening when the sharp steps halted. He sighed. "Find a bed. You look like you need it."

He strode down the street before he got an answer. Giacinto Marinos was not his responsibility. Nor should or did he care what that Greek thought of him – Alessandro had been working, pouring over files and notes.