4

october 26th, small heath, birminghamTOMMY PUT his hands around her small figure pulling her into a hug when he noticed her crying eyes

TOMMY PUT his hands around her small figure pulling her into a hug when he noticed her crying eyes. She held on tight to Tommy before telling him.

"Tommy.. I'm sorry...", she said between cries as she turned away from him

"Shh... it's okay, it should be me who's sorry, you weren't just fun, you were my life.. I couldn't have you waiting here for me everyday.. I had to let you go".

"Tommy..", she said as she turned around, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, it's all my fault and your both going to hate me", she said as she paced around the room.

"Slow down, love, come here look at me", Tommy calmed her down. He pulled her towards him and looked into her eyes, putting her hair behind her ear.

"Now... tell me what's wrong".

"Alex...", she said looking up from the ground into the familiar eyes of her son and love.

"Alex.. who's Alex", he said confused as he rubbed the tears away from her eyes.

"My son. Our son, Tommy... our son", she admitted. The place stood still. Tommy looked at her for the smallest sign that this was a joke before downing the glass of whiskey.

"My son?", Tommy says as he looks at her eyes.

"Our son... I found out I was pregnant after you left for the war.. I didn't want him growing up wondering if his father was alive or was he going to come back.. I told him he died...".

"Anna.. are you sure it's mine",he said sighing..

"I'm not a whore Tommy, your the only man I had slept with", she said disgusted.

"Why didn't you tell me".

"I didn't want him mixed up in this business.. in the peaky business, sure look at my father.. he wasn't even a full time member".

"Bella..", he said as he grabbed her face in his hands making her look up at him.

"I'm not gonna die... I'm not going anywhere", he said as he pulled into kiss her but she quickly pulled back, Tommy looked back at her with a confused face.

"Uhhh... I just came to ask if you would meet Alex tomorrow maybe? He would like to meet you... come to my house tomorrow at 12 and you can take him out for a few hours", she quickly muttered before walking around Tommy and walking out of the door leaving Tommy in the cub by himself. As she walked out the other 2 Shelby brothers seen her.

"Ey it's Anna, good to see you Anna", Arthur said as he got up and gave her a hug.

"Yeah good to see you Anna, looking well, the time did you good", John said from his seat.

"Not looking too bad yourself", Anna forced a smile.

"Are you doing okay Anna? Tommy being a bollocks again, I'll give 'im a piece of me mind", Arthur asked her, noticing her forced smiled.

"No.. I'm fine Arthur honestly", she lied, and she was thankful he didn't press her any more, "I heard about Martha John.. I'm sorry for your loss, if you need any help with the kids give me a call I'd love to help".

"Yeah Anna, it's been hard, the 4 of 'em have been runing rings around me. And I'm sorry for your father too, he was a good man.. more of a father to me than my own father was", John tells her.

"Well Johnboy, Arthur, I'll see you later... ", she smiled and then quickly walked out of the pub. It feels like she never even left.

"I wonder what John and Arthur will think when they find out about Alex", she thought, "John'll be happy that Alex's middle name is John", she smiled.

As she entered the house she heard the footsteps run down the stairs.

"Did you see 'im Mum", Alex asked.

"Yes..", she said as she walked into the sitting room and took a seat, Alex following her like a puppy.

"He says he'll pick you up tomorrow, and take you out, have a chat".

"Ok..", he said before walking back up to his room.

"Anna sighed before Sam walked into the room.

"It's gonna take time Anna.. he's just found out", Sam tells her.

"He always talked to me, he always sat beside me, he never stayed in his room until it was bedtime".

"He's just found out you've lied to him, he's gonna need a bit of time.. and him knowing Tommy 'll give him some time to let it out.. man to man".

"I don't have time Sammy.. I'm supposed to be leaving in less than 2 weeks, I only have a month off work".

"Why didn't you stay 'ere, get a job in a hospital here?".

"I don't want Alex mixed up in the peaky side of the business", she admitted.

"Look, I've known Tommy for years, and I've got to know him more since the war, and he's not going to let you, or Alex get hurt and that's a fact".

"I don't know..", she contemplated, "I'll ask at the hospital if there are any jobs going...".

"Anna, I'm so glad your back", Sam then said.

"I'm glad too", she smiled back.