Goodbye

3rd Person's POV

       "Steve." Peggy said into the comm. There was no reply. "Steve..." She said as tears began to flow. "I'm pregnant."

       She placed a hand on her stomach and placed her head on the table. She was alone. Officially alone. She felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up. "What do we do now?" Howard Stark asked. 

       "We finish this war." She said looking at him and nodded. "That's what he would've wanted." He nodded back at her and held out his hand.

       "And what will you do after?" He questioned. "Will you keep the baby?"

       She smiled slightly and placed her on her stomach once again. "Even if he's gone, it's still our child. I'd never give that up." She took Howards hand and together they walked through the compound, back towards the cars awaiting for them outside.

       As they reached base, all the men stood at attention. None knowing that their very own Captain America wouldn't be joining them on their fights to come. Everyone gathered around the cars as they stopped. The General called everyone to attention and the made their to the seating area in front of the stage. Peggy and Howard lead themselves out and into Peggy's tent to gather her belongings.

       They heard Colonel Phillips start speaking into the microphone. "I regret to inform all of that we are no longer in contact with Captain Rogers. His communication shut down in the aircraft he was piloting about 30 minutes ago..." There were a few moments of silence. "We can only assume the worst has happened."

       That made Peggy's eyes water. "However," he continued. " Captain Rogers wouldn't want us to give the fight. He'd want us to finish the war."

       Howard wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. "We should get going." He whispered once she'd calmed down at bit. She nodded and grabbed her suitcase. They were just about to leave when someone called her name.

      "Agent Carter!" They both turned to see Colonel Phillips approaching them, his hand tightly holding something. "I believe these are yours." He said holding out his hand. She took the item and held back tears as she look at it. "They were never returned to him after the experiment. Thought you might wanna keep ahold of them until he returns." 

       "Thank you, Colonel." She whispered. "Thank you for everything." She smiled softly at him and held out a hand for him to shake. He gladly took it and then turned to leave.

"I hope to work with you again, Mrs. Carter." He yelled over his shoulder. "And send me a picture when the baby's born, would yah?"
       Peggy laughed slightly at that. "I will!" And with that she got into the car with Howard. They left the base and drove through the woods as Peggy looked down at the object that had been given to her.
       Steven Grant Rogers. They read. His tags. She slid them over her head and they hung onto her stomach.
       Almost as it though he was there holding it as well.

Word Count: 514